Admin user profile cannot be loaded. Other user standard. System is limited. Repair or reformat?

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a system where the Administrator profile is throwing up this error when you try to log into it:

The User Profile Service service failed the sign in. User profile cannot be loaded

Their is only one other profile and that IS NOT SET as Administrator, it is a standard profile so has limits on what it can / cannot do. For example we cannot install software - a box pops up asking for admin username / password then crashes out with an error like cannot find the install file you just clicked on.

It seems he somehow went to change the login email address ( used for his MS Account login online ) to another address that is also an MS account address. Then he somehow created a new profile, moving the data from what was original profile and was the administrator. The original admin account now doesnt work with error above. Thats the best I can understand what he did from his description.

Whats the best way to deal with this?

I told the guy who owns the PC that it might be faster to back it up and factory reset / reformat. Is this the best approach?

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum aidan.

There are a number of reasons this error can be generated, so before going into any possible solutions that would avoid a Reset or Clean install of the operating System it would be helpful if you answered a few questions.
  • Did the computer with the issue come with Windows 10 installed on it, or was it upgraded to Windows 10?
  • What version of Windows 10 is being used, i.e. is it Home, Professional, Enterprise, and what Build is being used, for example Build 14393.969
  • Has your friend attempting to activate the Built in Administrator account at all? Or is the Administrator account that is not currently working simply a User Account they created with their own User name and Admin privileges?
  • Finally, are they able to access Safe Mode still?

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hiya Bastet,

NO I dont have Malwarebytes installed.

In fact that was what I was trying to do because I thought this might be malware related. However when i try install anything into the standard profile the system wont allow me do so. It looks for the admin username / password in a popup ... which as i stated, is corrupt.

I cannot even open a CMD prompt in elevated mode, same issue.

The system does have latest version of AVAST Free - I have not tried to uninstall it, I wonder would I be allowed to without admin access in a standard profile?

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32

Did the computer with the issue come with Windows 10 installed on it, or was it upgraded to Windows 10?

It is a lenovo all in one unit WITH Win 10 already on it, not upgraded

What version of Windows 10 is being used, i.e. is it Home, Professional, Enterprise, and what Build is being used, for example Build 14393.969

Good Question :D .. I would need to look at his system again, I didnt check that far. However i was allowed do a Win update for that most recent update PRE The Creators Update.

Has your friend attempting to activate the Built in Administrator account at all? Or is the Administrator account that is not currently working simply a User Account they created with their own User name and Admin privileges?

We activated the built in Admin A/C via SHIFT + RESTART & the command prompt that one can boot into there. However I think this was already active as the main account that is now corrupt? Why i say that is .. with the built in Admin A/C active I should see it as an option on the Welcome screen?

But - the only two accounts on the Welcome screem AFTER built in Admin A/C activation is the original corrupt admin account + the new standard account. BTW - i dont get any options anywhere to add a new account, assuming thats the case as only working profile is standard

Finally, are they able to access Safe Mode still?

Yes - but to no avail. Same thing. I try open an elevated CMD and get asked for admin credentials, then fail.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Aidan,

One option here would be to reset the Administrator Profile to a default status. The thing to note here, is if you take this path it will not delete any password your friend may have setup for the Administrator, so make sure they know what that password is as they'll be needing it later if one was previously in use.

If you create a Boot Disk and boot from it you can enter the Recovery Screen.

From here you would select Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt

Upon restarting the computer you'll boot to a Command prompt console.
  • Here type
    Code:
    diskpart
    then press Enter key
  • Next type list volume then press Enter key
  • A list of volumes is displayed. Note the Drive letter currently assigned to the Windows partition
  • Type exit then press Enter key
  • Next type the following command at the prompt:

Code:
    RD /S /Q X:\Users\Administrator

Note: Replace the X in above command with the drive letter you noted prior!

Also note: If your friend renamed Administrator to another name, then replace Administrator in above command with that new name.

Press Enter key to execute.
  • Restart the computer and sign in with any other account you have access too. Do not sign in with the Administrator account!
  • Right-click on Start and select Run
  • In the run dialog type regedit then click OK
  • If prompted by the User Account Control click Yes
  • In the Registry Editor's left pane expand the hives to the following location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
— SOFTWARE
— Microsoft
— Windows NT
— CurrentVersion
— ProfileList
  • On expanding the ProfileList hive in the left pane you will see a series of sub hives. Locate the sub hive that starts with S-1-5-21 and ends with -500 and right-click on this one and select delete.

If prompted to confirm click Yes

If there is more than one sub hive that starts with s-1-5-21 and ends with -500 then right-click on these too and select delete.

If any sub hives exist starting S-1-5-21 and end -500.bak then right-click and select delete too!
  • Close the Registry Editor
  • Restart computer.

The Built-in Administrator profile is now reset and you should be able to re-activate it within Safe mode, or normal mode from which you can manage any other existing User account. Having reset the Profile to Default you will need to reset any preferences you want for each time its logged into as these were deleted. The password, however, if one existed was not deleted and will still be required.

Report back on any success or failure here.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question