This is tough! Only one user account (unk. type, Admin priv., no password)

Reaction score
I built this new computer for video editing purposes. No problems with the build or upgrade from Win 7 Pro to Win 10, and no problems with "Anniversary" upgrade of Win 10. I have used the new computer for several weeks by signing in with my Windows Account and password. I have built 8 other computers for my home all on Win 10 and similar setup. Trying to make this new computer the best I could I did some more reading and learned that Microsoft suggests using a Standard account without Admin. privileges for everyday work and use the account with Administrator privileges only when necessary. All my Microsoft Accounts were installed with Administrator privileges, so with the new computer I decided I should sign in with a Standard User account to use most of the time and switch to the Microsoft Account with Administrator privileges only when it was necessary. To add a user account I >ctrl panel>User Accounts>Manage Another Account>Add a new user in PC settings>Add a family member>Add an Adult>The person I want to add doesn't have an email address>Let's create an account>Name>Password>Birthdate (my own)>( Here is where I think something went wrong. I didn't put in an email address and I don't think I was required to. I used my nick name jay as a user name and RA890pr as a password and I was presented with a user account with the user name jay and my Microsoft Account photo. However beneath that there were two buttons, one to give Administrator privileges and one to give Standard privileges and the button for Administrator privileges was already checked and Win 10 would not let me uncheck it and would not let me check the button for Standard privileges. Because I thought I had the new account and assumed I would still have my Microsoft Account I decided to sign out and sign in with the new account to be sure it worked. I did and Windows 10 presented me with my Microsoft Account photo and jay beneath it as user name and it accepted my password of RA890pr All seemed OK. I thought I would then sign back in with my regular Microsoft Account and change the privileges for the jay account to Standard privileges. Didn't work! I couldn't get Win 10 to give me a chance to sign in with my Microsoft Account. It only offered me the jay account and after the one success with that password, every other password I tried Win 10 says "Incorrect, Try again". I say "every" because I thought maybe I made a typing error and I tried thirty variations of my password RA890p[, RA890po, RA890pt, and 27 others and now I'm stuck with only one user account "jay" and no password. Every password recovery scheme I've found starts with an open screen, press on the Windows key, go to Command Prompt, etc. I haven't found any that can get me past the "jay" account without a password. I haven't been able to bring up two "hidden" accounts Win 10 is supposed to have installed. Is there an expert who can tell me what to do now? The local Microsoft Store said if I brought my computer into the store they could fix it with a special "tool" they have (Fuzzy cheeked kid, said he couldn't do it remotely, couldn't send me the "tool"! "Bring it in if you want us to fix it") easy for him to say but not easy for me to do because it's a full tower case and about 60-70lbs. and a little much for this 79 year old goof off. Who's got an answer?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You are probably going to need the installation media in order to rescue your PC by enabling the hidden (disabled / inactive) Administrator account and use that account to sort out your other password issues.
IF you don't have it, but have another working system that you can use to acquire the ISO.....
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-WaTVja5C7z2Vs7q82apCPg)()
Choose Windows 10, the first item in the first drop down (not single language at the bottom) * see note at bottom.
Next choose your language and your bit version (32 or 64 bit to match your system architecture or in the case of an upgrade, to match your currently installed version of Windows).
That will provide an ISO that will boot, upgrade, repair (or clean install) either or both Windows 10 Pro and Home.
Once you have downloaded the ISO you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
OR
Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive http://rufus.akeo.ie/
When you've created the installation media then Follow the steps outlined here
http://pureinfotech.com/2015/11/20/how-reset-windows-10-forgotten-password-regain-access-computer/
*NOTE: In some cases, we've learned that some people have the "Single Language" version installed. In which case you would need that download. It's important that you match the ISO version that you download with your installation.

Reaction score
Microsoft suggests using a Standard account without Admin. privileges for everyday work and use the account with Administrator privileges only when necessary
This was the case when XP was the flavor of the day.. :)

Because your system is tied to a Microsoft account it can cause problems when you want to switch users around. I have my system tied to a Microsoft account but I log in with my Local Account.

The user name set up when you install a system using a Microsoft account is the first 5 digits in your e-mail address. You have to use the full e-mail address as a user and a password to go with it. That being the case, how close was you Microsoft account user name to the one you mention. And remember, to go from a Local account to a Microsoft Account you have to switch while you are already signed in so you aren't actually switching users but accounts.

Can you go online and sign into your Microsoft account? If you were a new user, where did the Microsoft Account photo come from?

SwitchUser.JPG

Reaction score
I built this new computer for video editing purposes. No problems with the build or upgrade from Win 7 Pro to Win 10, and no problems with "Anniversary" upgrade of Win 10. I have used the new computer for several weeks by signing in with my Windows Account and password. I have built 8 other computers for my home all on Win 10 and similar setup. Trying to make this new computer the best I could I did some more reading and learned that Microsoft suggests using a Standard account without Admin. privileges for everyday work and use the account with Administrator privileges only when necessary. All my Microsoft Accounts were installed with Administrator privileges, so with the new computer I decided I should sign in with a Standard User account to use most of the time and switch to the Microsoft Account with Administrator privileges only when it was necessary. To add a user account I >ctrl panel>User Accounts>Manage Another Account>Add a new user in PC settings>Add a family member>Add an Adult>The person I want to add doesn't have an email address>Let's create an account>Name>Password>Birthdate (my own)>( Here is where I think something went wrong. I didn't put in an email address and I don't think I was required to. I used my nick name jay as a user name and RA890pr as a password and I was presented with a user account with the user name jay and my Microsoft Account photo. However beneath that there were two buttons, one to give Administrator privileges and one to give Standard privileges and the button for Administrator privileges was already checked and Win 10 would not let me uncheck it and would not let me check the button for Standard privileges. Because I thought I had the new account and assumed I would still have my Microsoft Account I decided to sign out and sign in with the new account to be sure it worked. I did and Windows 10 presented me with my Microsoft Account photo and jay beneath it as user name and it accepted my password of RA890pr All seemed OK. I thought I would then sign back in with my regular Microsoft Account and change the privileges for the jay account to Standard privileges. Didn't work! I couldn't get Win 10 to give me a chance to sign in with my Microsoft Account. It only offered me the jay account and after the one success with that password, every other password I tried Win 10 says "Incorrect, Try again". I say "every" because I thought maybe I made a typing error and I tried thirty variations of my password RA890p[, RA890po, RA890pt, and 27 others and now I'm stuck with only one user account "jay" and no password. Every password recovery scheme I've found starts with an open screen, press on the Windows key, go to Command Prompt, etc. I haven't found any that can get me past the "jay" account without a password. I haven't been able to bring up two "hidden" accounts Win 10 is supposed to have installed. Is there an expert who can tell me what to do now? The local Microsoft Store said if I brought my computer into the store they could fix it with a special "tool" they have (Fuzzy cheeked kid, said he couldn't do it remotely, couldn't send me the "tool"! "Bring it in if you want us to fix it") easy for him to say but not easy for me to do because it's a full tower case and about 60-70lbs. and a little much for this 79 year old goof off. Who's got an answer?

You should know that I only read the first 3 words.

Reaction score
You are probably going to need the installation media in order to rescue your PC by enabling the hidden (disabled / inactive) Administrator account and use that account to sort out your other password issues.
IF you don't have it, but have another working system that you can use to acquire the ISO.....
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-WaTVja5C7z2Vs7q82apCPg)()
Choose Windows 10, the first item in the first drop down (not single language at the bottom) * see note at bottom.
Next choose your language and your bit version (32 or 64 bit to match your system architecture or in the case of an upgrade, to match your currently installed version of Windows).
That will provide an ISO that will boot, upgrade, repair (or clean install) either or both Windows 10 Pro and Home.
Once you have downloaded the ISO you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
OR
Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive http://rufus.akeo.ie/
When you've created the installation media then Follow the steps outlined here
http://pureinfotech.com/2015/11/20/how-reset-windows-10-forgotten-password-regain-access-computer/
*NOTE: In some cases, we've learned that some people have the "Single Language" version installed. In which case you would need that download. It's important that you match the ISO version that you download with your installation.

1 : I never said I forgot my password
2 : This might literally RESET ALL of my computer
3 : I am using a desktop
4 : Can't you like list me a numbered step?
5 : I dont get anything here
6 : I think I need a DVD Drive if that's what it meant?
7 : I don't have enough time to put ALL my stuff in a DVD and if I ever had any nothing can take all my stuff that I've installed already

Reaction score
This was the case when XP was the flavor of the day.. :)

Because your system is tied to a Microsoft account it can cause problems when you want to switch users around. I have my system tied to a Microsoft account but I log in with my Local Account.

The user name set up when you install a system using a Microsoft account is the first 5 digits in your e-mail address. You have to use the full e-mail address as a user and a password to go with it. That being the case, how close was you Microsoft account user name to the one you mention. And remember, to go from a Local account to a Microsoft Account you have to switch while you are already signed in so you aren't actually switching users but accounts.

Can you go online and sign into your Microsoft account? If you were a new user, where did the Microsoft Account photo come from?

View attachment 3662

Signed in with my microsoft account, but this problem is still accuring
"Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?
APP NAME
COMPANY APP MAKER NAME THING
SOME MORE WRITING
To continue, enter an admin user name and password"
[ No ]

And the only option I can choose is ^^ (No)

Ask a Question