After update no Sleep or Hibernation

Reaction score
I'll try to make this brief:
Dell XPS13 9333, I've had nothing but trouble with it since I bought it 4 months ago. Put a 1tb drive in it, and partitioned it roughly 250gb and 650gb.
I posted about the WiFi seldom waking up after sleep, well, that go fixed when "something unknown" trashed the system - I had pulled out a month old Acronis 2020 image and restored it (just the partition, not the drive). The WiFi problem was gone afterwards - dunno, it's a computer ... BUT THE IMAGE WAS PERFECT - remember this.
2-3 days ago Windows Update TOTALLY trashed the system so that I could not boot it in any manner, so I went back to THAT image.
Restore went dandy, everything's fine but NOW it will not sleep or hibernate. When it tries to do either, the screen blanks the keyboard, backlight does not go out/turn off UNTIL the system gives up and shuts down.
I have put 2 other (READ: different) images on this and they all act the same.
I gone through the BIOS and nothing changed (not much TO change) but this seems to be the "Ghost in The Machine".
ANY IDEAS?
I've gone through EVERYTHING, run the troubleshooter, checked bloody everything - I'm pulling out what little hair I've left.
Win 10.0.19041.508.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I occasionally get the lack of sleep problem after an update on my desktop machine. What tends to fix it for me is to set the power scheme back to a default state. It's easy to do and it's never caused any new problems.

Open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter the following command:

powercfg -restoredefaultschemes

Then restart the PC.

Reaction score
Much has transpired since life got in the way after I left that OP:
I got he system with a "new" Win 10 install on it, after 3 months of fighting it, I decided to re-install from scratch. That seemed to do it. I've been puting programs on a few every other day and it appears ok - FINALLY.

Ask a Question