After upgrading my Hp Laptop to Windows 10 build 10547 my laptop restarts randomly

Reaction score
After upgrading my Hp Laptop to Windows 10 build 10547 my laptop restarts randomly

The error message is "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart.We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you. If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error:DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL(i8042HDR.SYS)"

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Looks like a driver error involving your "Numbers Pad" by Chicony.
I'm not sure as to whether or not this is a third party USB peripheral or part of the HP Keyboard and associated driver software package.
You may want to check and see if the Computer manufacturer or the Device manufacturer has an updated driver.

Typically when I have a driver issue like this, I'll break the driver by renaming it from i8042HDR.SYS to i8042HDR.OLD to test and confirm that the Blue Screen issue is resolved.
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\i8042HDR.SYS

NOTE: Be aware that breaking the driver may impact more than just the num-pad and may impact your laptops whole keyboard.
In which case you may find yourself needing a USB keyboard to recover by renaming it back to i8042HDR.SYS
Updating the driver is usually the best course of action.

Ask a Question