After Win10 Update, iPhone keeps disconnecting from Explorer

Reaction score
After the latest Win10 update (Windows 10 Home 1607 Build 14393.693), my iPhone7 Plus stops being recognised as a device in the Windows File Explorer after it is disconnected from the computer and then reconnected. iTunes still recognises the iPhone but it is not visible in the File Explorer (where I move my photos back and forth from the iPhone and my hard drive).

The iPhone is connected directly to the computer using an Apple cable. When first connected, Windows makes two beeps and pops up the File Explorer Window as normal, and I can access my photos. However, if I disconnect the phone (to answer it or go somewhere), when I come back to the still running computer and plug it back in, Windows beeps twice as normal, but no pop-up Explorer window. When I pull up Explorer, the iPhone is not there. Run iTunes and it is there. Pull the cable from the USB port and put it in the next slot and it pops up again. Unplug and replug, no iPhone. Move to another slot, sometimes, sometimes not.

This is frustrating because if Windows doesn't recognise the iPhone in Explorer, my Lightroom will not list it for importing my photos. Plus I don't want to be having to crawl under my desk to keep switching USB port (the iPhone does NOT like any HUBs powered or unpowered).

Reaction score
When I plugged in my iPhone 6 I got some noises but the Device Manager showed the phone with a yellow triangle.

I checked the properties for the device and it seems to use the install file, wpdmtp.inf. Yours may already say that but I used the Update driver button to browse my computer, let me pick drivers, then Have Disk button.

From there I was able to navigate to the Windows\INF folder and pick the wpdmtp.inf file.

Since you seem to have a different situation, the 7 may use a different driver. You might set the Device Manger to see hidden devices and see if there is a greyed out version of the device. Check the details tab and drop down menu to inf name to see what driver install file it is using and substitute that file for the one I used.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204095

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Saltgrass.

In my Device Manager, it shows both the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver (under Universal Serial Bus controllers) and Apple iPhone (with a yellow triangle) under Portable Devices.

Here is a screenshot with both property dialogues and driver file detail windows open.

Reaction score
Well this is interesting. I've just tried an experiment. If I unplug the phone from the usb and then plug it in again right away, the computer beeps but Explorer doesn't show the iPhone. However, if I wait five minutes and then plug the iPhone back in, the computer beeps and the Explorer window pops up again. Fascinating.

It must be the driver unloading and loading again??

Reaction score
Your picture of the Portable devices with the Apple iPhone was exactly like mine before I did the driver update. That is the entry I updated the drivers for.

Dev_Phone.JPG

Ask a Question