Win10 Update to 1803 - Keyboard(s) Not Working

Reaction score
About a month ago Windows automatically updated to 1803 (from 1709). When it rebooted:
My USB keyboard was not working
My laptop (HP Envy) keyboard was not working
The on screen keyboard was not working

Typing on any of those did NOT fill in any characters in the login area on the Welcome/login screen!
I was unable to login!

After doing some research and speaking with a Microsoft (MS) tech I was able to roll back to 1709. Shift + Restart, then (I think) Diagnose problems, then return to previous version.

So now I am back at 1709 and stable. I put my Wi-Fi connection in metered mode so MS would not automatically update me to 1803 again.

So yesterday (4 weeks later) I decided to try again. The Microsoft tech had told me they were aware of the issue and were working on a fix (probably BS though!). I took it out of metered mode, went to Updates and and had it update me to 1803. But prior to that I cloned my C: drive to a internal SSD drive that I had mounted in a SATA to USB enclosure that is the same as the SSD drive I had replaced my C: drive with about a year ago (I clone every other week as a precaution in case of a system failure.)

Well this time the upgrade to 1803 worked - keyboards worked, was able to log in, etc. Unfortunately only for a day. When I booted up the next day same old issue - keyboards were not working! I gave up and tried rolling back. Only this time I got an error doing that - said something like "can not recover previous version..."

Fortunately I had cloned my 1709 version, so I popped out the SSD from its enclosure and swapped with the C: drive, and I am now back and stable at 1709.

After doing a lot of Googling this issue there seems to be a lot of people with this problem is various manifestations. I hate to think I am stuck at this version forever.

I THINK THAT MICROSOFT NEEDS TO INVESTIGATE THIS, FIND THE (ROOT) CAUSE AND EITHER FIX IT OR PROVIDE SUFFICIENT ADVISE TO ENABLE ONE TO RESOLVE IT ON THEIR SYSTEM.

MICROSOFT?

Reaction score
1. Shutdown laptop.
2. Remove power adapter.
3. Remove laptop battery.
4. Hold power button down for 30-60 sec.
5. Reinstall laptop battery,
6. Reattach power adapter.
7. Power up laptop, all will be working now.

Ask a Question