SOLVED Alt+4 using on-screen keyboard

Reaction score
How can I perform an Alt+4 function using only the on-screen keyboard. It doesn't have to be an Alt+4 process but I need to be able to enter special symbols. What I have done before is to call up a font's code table, find my character, copy code then use paste function in text line. Cumbersome but works. Depending on the font, the character may be wrong size or other inconsistent trait. Ÿ ¾ Ÿ¾ ™Ÿ¾™© Θ

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm assuming you are using the Character Map from Control Panel. I use it on both Desktops and Notebooks but the inconvenient part is in not having a Number Pad on most Notebooks hence the need for copying the code, the one I use the most is the degree symbol °, with the Arial Font works with Alt+248 or Alt+0176 on the Number Pad but Select, Copy Paste on the keyboard. Using different Fonts may change the functions. If I were to use a specific character frequently I would copy such to Notepad, save the file on the desktop for easy access, maybe pin a shortcut to it on the Taskbar, I pin a shortcut to the Character Map itself.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm assuming you are using the Character Map from Control Panel. I use it on both Desktops and Notebooks but the inconvenient part is in not having a Number Pad on most Notebooks hence the need for copying the code, the one I use the most is the degree symbol °, with the Arial Font works with Alt+248 or Alt+0176 on the Number Pad but Select, Copy Paste on the keyboard. Using different Fonts may change the functions. If I were to use a specific character frequently I would copy such to Notepad, save the file on the desktop for easy access, maybe pin a shortcut to it on the Taskbar, I pin a shortcut to the Character Map itself.
All good ideas. Thank you. I believe I will mark this question, answered. Pulling the characters from the character maps and a select, copy, paste, will do me for now. Apparently, it is possible to change on-screen kb keys to sticky keys (I'm assuming toggles). I'll try that sometime soon and see if I can get Alt key to stay active as I enter the 4 code.

Ask a Question