Using numlock mode when I have no numlock key

Reaction score
My keyboard has a numeric pad, but no numlock key. How do I get into numlock mode? At present the numeric keys do funny things (jump to another window, select things on screen etc.) which presumably means that it is not currently in numlock mode. Maybe there should be a numlock LED? There is no such LED alight at present.

My computer is a Dell XPS8700 running W10.

Thank you - Rowan

Reaction score
Notebooks do it differently but in the case of a Desktop like yours most keyboards have a NumLock key just above the 7 or to the Left of the / on the keypad. Pressing that key activates or toggles to deactivating the feature and most do have light. It can be important to make sure NumLock in Enabled in the BIOS. All this assumes using a standard keyboard, most desktops come with a keyboard and mouse, I have 2 such sets that came with my Dell [April] and ASUS [2016] that I haven't needed yet.

Reaction score
On my keyboard, the key above the 7 and to the left of the / on the numeric keypad is marked Clear. It seems to delete the currently selected text, or if nothing is selected, the character after the cursor. In other words, exactly the same as the Delete key. There seems to be no key marked Num Lock (see photo)

NumLock Problem sm 220914.jpg

I have no idea whether this is a "standard keybaord". I probably bought it when I needed a USB keyboard to replace the old PS/2 keyboard, and I probably chose a cheap one made in China.
Is there not a way of changing the keyboard mapping via the registry? I think I have used this in the past to disable the Caps Lock key - I just can' remember exactly how I did this. So can I not change the Clear key to send the right code for Num Lock? I just need to know how to find the right place in the registry, and the code for the clear key (or how to find this out) and what this should be mapped to for Num Lock.

Thank you - Rowan

Reaction score
That doesn't look like any keyboard I've seen including those for Macintosh. That Clear key just may be the same as NumLock. The keys with reddish symbols indicate a multi-media board. Also of note is the #3 and #4 key above the w, e and r keys have monetary symbols, keyboards in the USA don't have those.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the caps locks key might work as a num lock.Don't if it will work on yours.
Or try the on screen keyboard and enable num lock?.

Last edited:
Reaction score
TrayStatus can switch hidden Keys.
The key status is also shown in the Tray.
I use it for the missing Scroll Lock key on my HP Laptop

Ask a Question