ALT Codes

Reaction score
The ALT codes given in various sites don't seem to work in Windows 10. In particular I need the tick symbol, but Alt 251 ( Yahoo Help) gives a superscript figure 1, Alt 10003 (Webnots) gives ‼, etc. - has anyone found an easy way to do this? (Uses would be in Yahoo Calendar, for instance). Thanks - PaulN

Reaction score
I get "√" in Notepad, Wordpad, Word, Excel, Windows Live Mail, Command-Line and in this forum edit box when pressing Alt(251). Is "√" not the symbol you are asking about?

Reaction score
The ALT codes given in various sites don't seem to work in Windows 10. In particular I need the tick symbol, but Alt 251 ( Yahoo Help) gives a superscript figure 1, Alt 10003 (Webnots) gives ‼, etc. - has anyone found an easy way to do this? (Uses would be in Yahoo Calendar, for instance). Thanks - PaulN

Yahoo Help gave you the right answer.
ALT 251 does give you the tick √

You can google for more alt codes.
Here is one I randomly picked for you..............
http://www.alt-codes.net/

Reaction score
Yahoo Help gave you the right answer.
ALT 251 does give you the tick √

You can google for more alt codes.
Here is one I randomly picked for you..............
http://www.alt-codes.net/
Many thanks, but sadly not on my PC! ALT251 gives ¹ The alt-codes link you gave does not thave a tick, but says ALT251 should give the square bracket, which some people use as a tick. If these are correct on your machine, what on earth is the matter with mine?

Reaction score
Many thanks, but sadly not on my PC! ALT251 gives ¹ The alt-codes link you gave does not thave a tick, but says ALT251 should give the square bracket, which some people use as a tick. If these are correct on your machine, what on earth is the matter with mine?

Paul, I checked the link before I posted to you.
I have no idea why you saw what you said when you open my link. Is there something wrong with your browser ?
Here is a screenshot of the ALTcodes table containing 251

Alt codes - on tick.jpg

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score

Seems to work on my computer as well.
Is there anything unique about your particular keyboard, or.....
have you in the past installed any third party software like AutoHotKey or something similar for adapting keyboard functions?

Reaction score
Paul, I checked the link before I posted to you.
I have no idea why you saw what you said when you open my link. Is there something wrong with your browser ?
Here is a screenshot of the ALTcodes table containing 251

View attachment 1273
Thanks - tried again in a Word doc and got the same results. My keyboard is a standard Logitech K200, and I've no relevant s/w installed. It's a mystery.. Alt251 = ¹, Alt252 = ³, the others on your image are all OK.

Reaction score
I am treading on uncharted waters here.
May I speculate that you have enabled some kind of hot keys in the past that involved Atl 251 and 252 ?

I really have no more ideas to help you.
Sorry.

Reaction score
I am treading on uncharted waters here.
May I speculate that you have enabled some kind of hot keys in the past that involved Atl 251 and 252 ?

I really have no more ideas to help you.
Sorry.
David, I'm most grateful for your efforts, but all to no avail. However, you've inspired me to try the makers, as they may have done something unusual. Thanks again - Paul

Reaction score
I just came here to say the same is happening with my keyboard. I have some sort of Razor (forget which one). I am doing ALT+9733 and it's supposed to be a star symbol. Instead it shows as: ♣

Then I started doing other codes and they are not correct with the sites. Specifically*, I am following instructions on this site: http://solverbase.com/w/Windows_10:_ALT_Key_Codes_☺☢☭❤❀

What the heck?!

*Edited for spelling

Reaction score
I just came here to say the same is happening with my keyboard. I have some sort of Razor (forget which one). I am doing ALT+9733 and it's supposed to be a star symbol. Instead it shows as: ♣

Then I started doing other codes and they are not correct with the sites. Specifically*, I am following instructions on this site: http://solverbase.com/w/Windows_10:_ALT_Key_Codes_☺☢☭❤❀

What the heck?!

*Edited for spelling
Thanks - tried again in a Word doc and got the same results. My keyboard is a standard Logitech K200, and I've no relevant s/w installed. It's a mystery.. Alt251 = ¹, Alt252 = ³, the others on your image are all OK.

I also get Alt251 = ¹ and Alt252 = ³ in both LibreOffice and Notepad, so it does not appear to be an application-specific issue.
Entering ¹ from the insert/special character gives ¹
In the insert/special character table ¹ is shown as decimal 185
Entering Alt 185 gives ╣

It matters not whether Num Lock is on or off.
It is the same for all Roman fonts.

alt 33 = ! as shown in special character table
alt 36 = $ as shown in special character table
alt 63= ? as shown in special character table
alt 99 = c as shown in special character table
alt 100 = d as shown in special character table
alt 126 = ~ as shown in special character table
No characters shown between 127 and 159, but typing them gives mostly accented characters, and:
alt156 = £
alt0156 = œ
alt 160 = á table shows nothing (blank)
alt 161 = í table shows ¡
alt0161 = ¡
alt 163 = ú table shows £
alt0163 = £ (alt156 = £)
alt156 = £

The fact that alt+n(dec) is correct up to 126 seems to suggest something, like it is near the end of the 2 character hex set. Or something else.

All the aly tables I googled gave the correct sets, so the table in Win10 appears incorrect.

Reaction score
I also have this problem in Win10There was an "EnableHexNumberpad" registry option for Win7 which solved the problem but it doesn't work in Win10.

ij is supposed to be "U+0133" yet when I follow the precise procedure no matter what ALT code I enter I only get one of the sub 32 characters from 1 to 9 depending on the last digit pressed. i.e., ☺☻♥♦♣♠•◘○

Ask a Question