SOLVED Am I running the latest version of Windows 10 or Not?

Reaction score
I just realized that I never posted the results of Partition Wizard. I did attempt this but it made no difference when I attempted to do a clean install of the Anniversary Update. As before after rebooting near the end of the installation I ended up with a never ending circle of dots and no hard drive activity. After leaving it in this state overnight, I preformed a manual shutdown and did a clean install from USB of Version 10 Build 10240 and I have been running this version since with many unsuccessful attempts at updating. I'm very baffled about what is going on here. I've run the Windows Update Troubleshooter several times and it does indicate if had found and fixed damaged Windows Update files but still unable to update after that. I've also run multiple disk drive tests that indicated the hard drive is fine as well as system tests that indicate no other hardware problems are found. I hate to give up on this without at least an understanding of why my computer will not update or clean install the latest version of Windows 10 but.

Reaction score
I'm running out of ideas, this worked for me on 1 laptop that refused to update:
1. delete folder C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\XblGameSave
2. delete registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\XblGameSave
3. Re-run the update

Also try this:
Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files
  1. Type cmd in the search box > select Command Prompt.
  2. Run as Administrator
  3. Type sfc /scannow.
  4. Go to driver C: \Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
  5. Press Ctrl + A and choose Delete to remove all the files inside the folder (but don’t delete the folder itself).
  6. Disable internet access
  7. Restart your computer and try to install the Anniversary Update from the iso file or from the USB drive.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm running out of ideas, this worked for me on 1 laptop that refused to update:
1. delete folder C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\XblGameSave
2. delete registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\XblGameSave
3. Re-run the update

Also try this:
Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files
  1. Type cmd in the search box > select Command Prompt.
  2. Run as Administrator
  3. Type sfc /scannow.
  4. Go to driver C: \Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
  5. Press Ctrl + A and choose Delete to remove all the files inside the folder (but don’t delete the folder itself).
  6. Disable internet access
  7. Restart your computer and try to install the Anniversary Update from the iso file or from the USB drive.
Interestingly the folder C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\XblGameSave didn't exist and neither did the Registry Key.

I ran the SFC /Scannow and it came back with "Windows Resource Protection Didn't Find any Integrity Violations".

I will now delete the contents of the C: \Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder and run the update from the USB Drive and post the results here.

Reaction score
Why it won't clean install to empty hard drive is the real mystery.
Paul Thurrott says a clean install always works.
I've updated 10 computers, had problems with 2. Resized hidden partitions & then it worked.
Many of the 10 are older than yours.
3 were clean installs & none were the AU.
Only had to do clean installs on the original release of Win10.
This is why I wanted you to start with a completely empty & un-partitioned drive.

BTW, don't select "download updates" from the install questions.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well unfortunately that didn't work either. The update ran as usual, then the computer rebooted the endless circle of dots came up and after several hours and no hard drive light activity, I manually powered down and the previous version was restored. I did get the following error message when the previous version was restored:
0xC1900101-0x20017 The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during the BOOT operation.

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
Attempted a clean install of the Anniversary Edition buy as before it hangs up near the end. Currently reinstalling Version 10 Build 10240. I'm afraid I'm just going to have to write this laptop off as incompatible with the latest version of Windows 10 and move on. I will continue running the old version of Windows 10 for the time being but most likely fall back to Windows 8.1 later. Thanks for your help, the effort was certainly appreciated.

Reaction score
We know it's a hardware problem & Microsoft does, too, which is why they haven't pushed the update to you. Would have thought they'd have a fix by now. Maybe the next version to replace the AU will work. Win 10 1507 (10240) is being retired in March.

It's probably incompatibility of one or all: Bluetooth adapters, Wi-Fi adapters and also Ethernet.
Most issues seem to be with Broadcom devices.

Some say it's the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M
I have 2 desktops with nVidia cards, no problems.

You could remove the wifi card, it's in a slot, easy to remove. Many wifi cards have BT on the same card.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I removed the WiFi card and attempted another clean install, no joy. I'm back on Version 10, Build 10240 now. Think I'll just leave it here until Microsoft comes up with a solution.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Reaction score
Thanks ! So it sounds like I need to format my drive to be configured to 4K clusters?
It definitely has to be 4K native (4K logical sector size) for Windows 10 Version 1607
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...t-policy-for-4k-sector-hard-drives-in-windows

See what it is currently at now. Minitool Partition Wizard Free will display it, but won't perform a non-destructive change unless you get the paid Pro version.

In Free version right-click on Win10 partition, select Properties, select File System Info tab.
Should say; Sectors per Cluster: 8 (4096 bytes)
4096 bytes is 4k cluster.

Don't know why an SSD would default to 1k cluster? Don't know if the Win10 USB install has an option for this type of formatting?
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9230-windows-10-iso-download.html

A little searching found that this might be the solution even if you already have 4k clusters.
http://www.beezmo.com/geezblog/?p=74
"...fix was to manually install the latest Intel driver: Intel® Rapid Storage Technology..."
Intel RST: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26361/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver
The computer I'm on now had it installed 7/30/2016, probably through a Win10 update.
It's an older version 10.8.0.1016

As said before, we know it's a hardware problem, and this is a hardware problem.
You have a 1 TB Sata hard drive. Maybe it's not compatible? Your computer is 6 years old & I now suspect the hard drive is the culprit. Manufacturer's tend to supply last year's drives, because they are cheaper & customers won't notice.
http://www.seagate.com/tech-insights/advanced-format-4k-sector-hard-drives-master-ti/

Since I have SSD's in all of mine, I would never be aware of this. Maybe it's time for you to get an SSD. They are so much faster than a mechanical drive, you will wonder why you didn't upgrade sooner. Windows 10 will boot in less than 20sec.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I reviewed a recent CHKDSK report I ran a few weeks ago and it does indicate my drive was formatted with 4K clusters. I'Lloyd check out that Intel Driver next week, I'm travelling over the weekend.

Thanks for the info!

Reaction score
Just an update on this issue that's been a long time coming. I'm happy to say that after fighting this problem for almost a year, the Windows 10 Creator's Update Version 1703 successfully installed on my ASUS G73SW laptop on the first attempt. Apparently something changed within the operating system that allows it to run on my particular chipset that wouldn't allow previous versions to run.

Reaction score
The absolutely latest version is 1703 Build 15063.608. As of last Tuesday afternoon.

Reaction score
That is the version and build that was successfully loaded. Prior to this, I was only able to load version 1507, all later versions would get stuck in a loop due to some sort of incompatibility with my hardware. It's great to have this finally working.

Reaction score
That is the version and build that was successfully loaded. Prior to this, I was only able to load version 1507, all later versions would get stuck in a loop due to some sort of incompatibility with my hardware. It's great to have this finally working.
Thanks for the update.
Guess we'll never know what the incompatibility was. BTW, 1709 will be released in October, hope you don't have to go through this again.

Ask a Question