SOLVED Am I running the latest version of Windows 10 or Not?

Reaction score
...I wrote back and told ASUS that I've been running Windows 10 for over a year before this problem with not updating occurred and that I am running Windows 10 now just not the latest version. The thought occurred to me though, is it possible that the November update has something in it that pushed my laptop beyond it's ability to run Windows 10? Are previous versions of Windows 10 available anywhere so that I can try downloading and installing the August 2016 update? I'm certain that I was running at least the August version before I replace the hard drive.

Let's just say, Asus Customer Support is imperfect. I have a T100.

The AU has been a problem for some. They did have some AU BIOS updates for various models. Not for yours or any Win10 specific drivers. I have the AU running on 10 year old laptops.

Did you upgrade from Win7 or 8.1? Home or Pro?

In your current BIOS configuration, is there a setting for Bit Locker & is it enabled? If so, disable it.
BIOS version is the only meaningful identifier, date means nothing. You either have version 202, 203 or 205.

I assume you want an iso of Win10 Threshold 2 (Build 10586)? They are hosted all over but not by Microsoft.
Search Google: windows 10 iso download old versions

If you want to run Build 10240, search "windows 10 build 10240 iso download".

Reaction score
Sorry I haven't replied back to any of this lately. I took a break from the daily multiple attempts at trying to get the latest version of Windows 10 via clean install and via the update process from version 10240 but I am not giving up just yet.

Here's a summary of the problem from the beginning:

I replaced the hard drive in my ASUS G73SW Laptop after I thought the original had gone bad. Looking back now, I suspect the hard drive was fine after all. Most likely the issue that made me think the hard drive was bad is the same issue I am experiencing now with getting the latest version of Windows 10 installed. I can't say for certain which version of Windows 10 I was running prior to replacing the hard drive but it was at least the version that came out in Aug 2016 and quite likely the version that came out in November of 2016 as I have automatic updates enabled and didn't see any indication of a problem until the 2nd week of December. Up until that point everything was working just fine.

After installing the new hard drive in December I attempted a clean install of the most current version of Windows 10 first via DVD then via USB using the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft's website. Neither of these methods were successful. I made certain on this attempt and all subsequent attempts that nothing other than the USB was connected to any of the laptop's ports.

I then utilized a USB containing an older version of Windows 10 from January of 2016 to successfully complete a clean install.

After getting this older version of Windows 10 running I attempted to get the latest version installed from Windows Update which failed after getting as far as the "Finishing Up" stage then a screen showing the Microsoft Logo with a circle of spinning dots below that ran overnight and no hard drive activity apparent.

After recovering back to the January version, I attempted another clean install of the latest version from an ISO via a link provided by Trouble but this also was unsuccessful with similar indications although an error message appeared on the screen indicating:
" We couldn't Install Windows 10"
0xC1900101-0x30018
"The Installation failed in the First_Boot phase with an error during SYSPREP operation.

I went back and tried the clean install from that same ISO again but this time I copied it to a DVD and to a USB wiped the drive (with diskpart -> clean). Both the attempt with the DVD and the USB were unsuccessful.

After recovering back to the January version, I've made several more attempts to update via Windows Update but none of these attempts worked.

I wrote to ASUS to see if they had any idea about this but all I received back in reply was that they couldn't find my model number on their list of computers compatible with Windows 10.

I'm now back at the January version of Windows 10 and everything is working fine, just not able to update to the latest version.

I can certainly try a different hard drive but if that was the problem doesn't it seem logcal that I wouldn't be able to install the January version of Windows 10 either?

This particular laptop doesn't have any Bluetooth capability so disabling the driver for that doesn't apply.

I'm not sure if I have an IDT Sound System on this laptop or not the specs indicate audio is provided by EAX Advanced HD 5.0 THX TruStudio but I when I am doing a clean install I assume I don't have any drivers at that point to disable?

I thought I had seen a link posted somewhere in this thread that would lead me to where I can download previous builds of Windows 10. If I can locate that link again I was planning on attempting to install perhaps the August build. If that works then apparently my laptop just can't handle something in the subsequent builds and then I'll know its time to move on and replace this unit with something a little more current.

Reaction score
Let's just say, Asus Customer Support is imperfect. I have a T100.

The AU has been a problem for some. They did have some AU BIOS updates for various models. Not for yours or any Win10 specific drivers. I have the AU running on 10 year old laptops.

Did you upgrade from Win7 or 8.1? Home or Pro?

In your current BIOS configuration, is there a setting for Bit Locker & is it enabled? If so, disable it.
BIOS version is the only meaningful identifier, date means nothing. You either have version 202, 203 or 205.

I assume you want an iso of Win10 Threshold 2 (Build 10586)? They are hosted all over but not by Microsoft.
Search Google: windows 10 iso download old versions

If you want to run Build 10240, search "windows 10 build 10240 iso download".

This laptop originally came with Windows 7 64 bit but I upgraded to Windows 8 64 bit then 8.1 64 bit prior to installing Windows 10 64 Bit Pro when it first became available to the public. It's been running great since up until this past November/December.

I'll check the BIOS for that Bit Locker setting when I get home from work today.

Thank you for the link, I will try downloading and installing the August version and see if that works.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I've looked high and low and cannot find any difference in the hardware requirements for Redstone as compared to Threshold, except....
A couple that Microsoft has placed on OEMs for the Windows 10 logo certification, which shouldn't be of any consequence to you.
I've installed Windows 10 (through Redstone) on some pretty old and feeble desktops and laptops, both upgrading and clean installing without the issue you are describing, and I can not explain why you can apparently install
10240 (Threshold 1) or perhaps it's 10586 (Threshold 2) but cannot clean install or upgrade to 14393 (Redstone 1)

When you have some time, just as a test.....
Download Memtest86+ from this location here. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot the computer from the CD from a cold boot after leaving it off for an hour or more.

Ideally let it run for at least 7 passes / 6-8 hours (over-night is good too). If errors appear before that you can stop that particular test. Any time Memtest86+ reports errors, it can be either a bad RAM module or a bad Mobo slot. Perform the test on RAM sticks individually as well as all possible combinations. When you find a good one then test it in all slots. Post back with the results.

See this Guide to using Memtest 86+

Even though I cannot even guess why a Redstone install would pick up a bad hardware component, that Threshold would ignore.

Reaction score
This...
" We couldn't Install Windows 10"
0xC1900101-0x30018
"The Installation failed in the First_Boot phase with an error during SYSPREP operation."

...indicates it's trying to create the hidden partitions (not the System partition) Win10 needs. This is not the same for all versions.

Are all hidden & non-hidden partitions removed?
Diskpart doesn't remove them all unless you specify.
I never use it, I boot from Partition Wizard boot CD or USB.
Much easier to view in graphical format.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok, using the link provided by Comp Cmndo I downloaded and attempted to clean install Windows 10 Redstone 1 - July 2016 but still unsuccessful with the same indications as before. I then tried doing a clean install of Threshold 2 - April 2016 and this attempt was successful. I'm a little confused about these version numbers and names though. After the installation completed I ran WINVER and the results show Version 1511 Build 10586 which seems to be from November of 2015? The date associated with the name doesn't seem to match the date associated with the version number or am I misunderstanding something? In any event, after the install completed I started a manual update but had to leave before it completed so I will not know if that's successful until I return home this evening.

I did notice that the screens I am seeing during the Clean install of version 1511 Build 10586 are similar if not identical to the screens I see when I installed Version 10 Build 10240. These screens are somewhat different than what I see during the unsuccessful installation attempts of the current version. Could that be significant?

Reaction score
There are 3 current branches for Windows 10.
There are Version Numbers & Build numbers & Microsoft internal code names (i.e., Redstone, Threshold).
Trying to understand why there are 3 Threshold 2's. They might incorporate the cumulative updates?
Winver will show more than Version 1511 Build 10586; i,e, 10586.xxx (218 or 240).
Windows 10 release information
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-info.aspx
Windows 10 version history
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_version_history

The screens you see mean nothing other than the install itself is different.

Still don't know why it won't clean install 1607; you can try an in-place upgrade. From Windows, insert the Redstone 1 USB or DVD; double-click setup file. It will attempt to install over your existing version while saving the old version in a folder called Windows.old. If install is unsuccessful at any point, it will automatically roll back.

Reaction score
I will give the in place upgrade a try this evening.

Meanwhile, after successfully getting Version 1511 Build 10586.164 to install, I attempted to update through Windows Update. The process ran for several hours and appeared to stall out again with no hard drive activity so I manually powered down a couple of times and when my previous version was restored I ran WINVER and now it says I am at Version 1511 version build 10586.753. A new Icon was on the screen that hadn't been there before titled "Windows Update Assistant" so I attempted to use it to update. Everything seemed to be going well until the update reached the "Finishing Up" stage at which point the screen went black and remained that way for several hours with no hard drive activity at which point I powered down twice and recovered my previous version (1511 Build 10586.753. I still need to run that memory test to see if that could be the problem.

Reaction score
Sorry, I did read it but guess I misunderstood. It sounded like this was a workaround to allow you to revert back to Windows 7 or 8 after Windows 10 had been running for more than 30 days. At any rate, I did attempt this however it didn't work. I was only able to find one of the folders mentioned in the instructions $Windows.~BT which I renamed to Bak-:\$Windows.~BT and then attempted running the update from a USB but it stalled out as before. After getting back to the previous version I did get a different error message on the screen that might help " 0xC1900101-0x20017 The installation Failed in the Safe_OS phase with an error during Boot operation".

After doing a search on that error code I found this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-0x20017/db224756-027e-4a5c-83a8-0c8edd156e55

Now that doesn't 100% match my problem because it seems to address a situation where systems that are running Windows 7 or 8 that failed to upgrade to Windows 10 but in my case my laptop has been running Windows 10 already but just can't update to the latest version. It's still closer to anything else I've found about my particular issue so I might as well give it a try provided there is an option in my BIOS to temporarily disable one or more cores as the post instructs. Any thoughts, advice or recommendations?

Reaction score
I'll give this a try, thanks. I did not have an option to disable cores in my Bios but I did under System Configuration. I tried that but it did not help.

Reaction score
I don't think your ASUS G73SW issue is cpu related.
Have we overlooked something basic?
Do you have an Intel® Core™ i7 2630QM??
I've never had to disable any cores.

Did it come with Windows 7 Ultimate?
Just checking: Windows 7 Ultimate will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.
Both are 64-bit.

I don't put much faith in those error codes.

Another thought:
Is BIOS UEFI? see BIOS---Boot; UEFI is disabled.
UEFI BIOS supports MBR HDD & GPT HDD
non-UEFI BIOS supports only MBR HDD

Windows 7 does not install GPT by default.
Windows 10 will install to either, but UEFI is preferred.
http://www.howtogeek.com/193669/whats-the-difference-between-gpt-and-mbr-when-partitioning-a-drive/

Set BIOS to UEFI enabled, boot from Win10 USB, choose Custom Install & delete all partitions.
Win10 will create GPT partitions as needed.

Reaction score
My laptop came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit. I upgraded to Windows 8 then 8.1 before going to Windows 10. My BIOS was set to non-UFEI originally and ran Windows 10 in that state for a year and a half. I switched to UFEI after this issue started with not being able to get the current version of Windows 10 started in an effort to correct the problem. Since switching to UFEI didn't work, I went back to the non-UFEI setting. I can certainly put it back in UFEI if that is preferred.

Reaction score
I'll give it a try. When I switched to UEFI originally, I tried a clean install at which time I deleted all existing partitions and just allowed Windows to format the hard drive as needed but I'll try it again with Partition Wizard. Leave no stone unturned. I'll post the outcome here.

Ask a Question