Anniversary Update Loses All Application Folders

Reaction score
After the Anniversary update (Version 1607) on my desktop a couple of weeks ago, all of the application folders and files disappeared. All I had were the Windows 10 system folders. The lost folders included Word, Excel, and other installed products such as Adobe DC. I restored from my latest backup which of course meant no Anniversary Update.

A friend applied the update to his laptop, and all was well. The only difference I can see between the two updates: I had previously used the free Windows 10 update to move from Windows 7 to Windows 10. His laptop had Windows 10 on it when purchased.

Google shows several complainants with my experience but no reasonable way to recover.

Does anyone know of a fix/workaround - other than reinstalling all of the applications?

Reaction score
I am having trouble as well. I haven't lost my application folders, however, my computer is freezing like crazy. It is a fault with the update. Something to do with the OS being stored on an SSD drive and apps are on a different drive. If it hasn't been 10 days you can go back to an earlier build and reset your wi fi connection to to not allow updates until there is a fix for this. I have tried to reinstall back to factory settings but there is always an error when I try. Another post has suggested re downloading the Windows 10 ISO 1607. Not sure downloading the same update will have any better luck. Anyone out there know how to deal with this or is it a case of just having to wait for a fix? Pisses me off as I sold a $3000.00 iMac in favor of an HP desktop. What are people suppose to do...just unplug the damn thing and wait for a fix that may not come??

Reaction score
Just tried "run programs from a previous version of Windows" . From the start menu type: run programs
then select run programs from a previous version of Windows. It seems to have worked. I'm not sure if it will last, but seems to have stopped the freezing...for now.lol

Reaction score
I am having trouble as well. I haven't lost my application folders, however, my computer is freezing like crazy. It is a fault with the update. Something to do with the OS being stored on an SSD drive and apps are on a different drive........................QUOTE]
My comp. also has the OS on an SSD and suffered from freezing, but it has disappeared now for about 4 days, so perhaps it has gone with the recent Windows update.

Alternatively, attached is a .rtf file which is a copy of a recent post which describes a Microsoft fix. It involves changing the Registry. I went all the way up before making the change and chickened out, remembering how fiddling with the Registry can make a computer inoperable. You might be braver.

Attachments

• Freezing bug.txt
    3.9 KB · Views: 541
Reaction score
Candice, I directly downloaded and installed the Windows 10 anniversary update today (on a 100MB wired connection, took about 4 1/2 hours. This time, my files and data folders were available. Only thing I can think of is that from the time of my original update on Sep 15th, there had been some additions "builds" added (the update site showed them) that corrected whatever problem I'd originally had. All of the non-Windows programs are working. Might be worth a try for your situation also.

Reaction score
I am having trouble as well. I haven't lost my application folders, however, my computer is freezing like crazy. It is a fault with the update. Something to do with the OS being stored on an SSD drive and apps are on a different drive. If it hasn't been 10 days you can go back to an earlier build and reset your wi fi connection to to not allow updates until there is a fix for this. I have tried to reinstall back to factory settings but there is always an error when I try. Another post has suggested re downloading the Windows 10 ISO 1607. Not sure downloading the same update will have any better luck. Anyone out there know how to deal with this or is it a case of just having to wait for a fix? Pisses me off as I sold a $3000.00 iMac in favor of an HP desktop. What are people suppose to do...just unplug the damn thing and wait for a fix that may not come??
Just tried "run programs from a previous version of Windows" . From the start menu type: run programs
then select run programs from a previous version of Windows. It seems to have worked. I'm not sure if it will last, but seems to have stopped the freezing...for now.lol

Reaction score
I think I will have to as my programs are still freezing...not as bad but still a problem. Thanks for the advice. If you here of any fixes please post.

Ask a Question