ANNOYING - An Operating System Was Not Found (disconnect any drives that do not contain an OS)

Reaction score
Greetings,

Last night after I came home, I turned on my 2009 HP Pavilion Elite HPE-410-eyc PC, logged on and opened Microsoft Edge to log on to my Mediacom account, afterwards my computer froze and I turned it off and back on several times, until I did: "Reset this PC" the resetting was working perfectly until it reached 66 percent, then my CPU brought up a light-blue screen, which read: "There was a problem resetting your PC."

After I saw that error message, I tried resetting my PC again, and the resetting was working fine up until it reached 67 percent, a few minutes later the same error message showed up, then I tried the other "advanced repair options", such as system image recovery and system restore and neither one of them worked correctly.

Afterwards, I unplugged and turned off my CPU for about a minute, then I plugged and turned my CPU on again and the same annoying error message showed up again, "An operating system was not found. Please try disconnecting any drives that do not contain an operating system."

Then, I unplugged all of my monitor, CPU and Mediacom cables for about an hour, then I plugged all of them back into their designated slots again.

After that, I turned my CPU and monitor on again, and that same BS error message showed up again."

After dealing with all of that balderdash, I turned off my monitor and CPU, went to bed, then I woke up late this morning, turned on my CPU and monitor in hopes that my CPU fixed itself, but it did not.

Also, late this afternoon I did a Google Search and BING Search and I looked up: "Windows 10 - Operating System Not Found" on my Google Android (because it is the only alternative that I have to my computer) and both websites gave me search results for 95/98/ME/2000/XP/Vista/7 and I don't give a crap about those OS, I only care about 8/10.

After I did those pointless web searches I came on here to Windows10Forums.com, and I posted all of my issues here in this new thread.

Also, I do not have a backup flash drive or reinstallation disk for putting Windows 10 back on my computer again, because I don't have flash drives or rewritable DVD-RW CDs, I did think I would have all of these issues before I installed Windows 10 Home on my 2009 HP Pavilion Elite-360-yc PC on July 30, 2015 via the Microsoft Windows 10 Home Creation Tool.

Furthermore, I installed Microsoft Windows 10 Home" on my 2009 HP Pavilion Elite-360-yc PC on July 30, 2015, because Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, which was originally installed on 2009 HP Pavilion Elite-360-yc PC, when I purchased it at my local BEST BUY in October 2009, continuously gave me error messages whenever I used the world wide web via Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Apple Safari and/or Microsoft Internet Explorer 10, such as: "This webpage has too many redirects", "This webpage is not available" and sometimes: "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED", which I knew were all balderdash because when I looked at the internet access icon on the bottom right-hand corner of my taskbar read that I was too connected the Internet, I became so fed up with those error messages that once I found out that I could install Microsoft Windows 10 Home on my PC for free I did it, the first weekend that I had Microsoft Windows 10 Home installed on my 2009 HP Pavilion Elite-360-y PC it ran smoothly, however, unfortunately, since last Wednesday, my 2009 HP Pavilion Elite-360-y PC has become a pain in the hindquarters to use, instead of a fun time-wasting electronic machine.

Also, before I attempted to reset my PC for the second time last evening, I read the, "Reset this PC" options very closely, I chose the one that read, "All drives", "this may take several hours", even though that option claimed that resetting my PC with that option it only worked up until it reached 67 percent, than my darn PC, showed that godforsaken light-blue screen, which read: "There was a problem resetting your PC."

After that error screen, showed up on my monitor I tried all of the steps that I mentioned in the last several paragraphs above.

Finally, if you actually read this long post thoroughly, my questions for you loyal Windows10Forums.com contributors are the following:

Q1.) What can I do with my PC to make it load properly like it did two weeks ago, since I don't have any flash drives or rewritable disks and I do not want to take my PC to BEST BUY, wait for 5-8 days for the Geek Squad to fix it and bring it back to my home, and I do not want to watch television or use my crappy Google Android for internet access?

Q2.) How would re-install Windows 7 Home Premium with the features and items that I currently already have?

Thanks for your help!
~~~ @pinellas2015 ~~~

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Well I read it. All of it.
And I don't know if this will be particularly helpful or not
http://support.hp.com/us-en/product...ies/4162190/model/4228023/document/c01867418/
If the hard drive has not suffered some catastrophic physical / mechanical failure and your factory recovery partition is still intact you may be able to perform a Factory reset from the recovery partition.

Failing that you may be able to contact HP http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp
And see if you can order a set of media recovery discs from them. IF your computer is still within warranty then that should be free. If not there may be some nominal fee plus S&H, last time I had to do it they had them at my door the next day.

Without any installation media or any means to create it, I don't see a lot of options outside of those two.

If additionally you are the unhappy victim of coincidental circumstance and your hard drive has physically failed, you'll also need to purchase a new one to replace it.

Reaction score
Well I read it. All of it.
And I don't know if this will be particularly helpful or not
http://support.hp.com/us-en/product...ies/4162190/model/4228023/document/c01867418/
If the hard drive has not suffered some catastrophic physical / mechanical failure and your factory recovery partition is still intact you may be able to perform a Factory reset from the recovery partition.

Failing that you may be able to contact HP http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp
And see if you can order a set of media recovery discs from them. IF your computer is still within warranty then that should be free. If not there may be some nominal fee plus S&H, last time I had to do it they had them at my door the next day.

Without any installation media or any means to create it, I don't see a lot of options outside of those two.

Alright, thanks for your help, I greatly appreciate it.

Also, I have a question: If I insert my original Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium CD into my CD drive, immediately after I turn on my 2009 HP Pavilion Elite HPE-410y PC, will the: "An operating system could not found. Please try disconnecting any drives that do not contain an operating system", go away and will my 2009 HP Pavilion Elite HPE-410y PC, automatically recognize my 2009 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium CD a

If additionally you are the unhappy victim of coincidental circumstance and your hard drive has physically failed, you'll also need to purchase a new one to replace it.

Alright, thanks for your help, I greatly appreciate it.

Also, is it possible for my 2009 HP Elite HPE-410y PC to automatically recognize my Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium CD after I insert into my 2009 HP Elite HPE-410y PC, and go straight to the Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium HP recovery options screen, after the HP startup logo screen appears and I press the, "F11" key, for the recovery options screen right away, instead of going to that godforsaken black screen, which read(s): "An operating system could not be found. Please disconnect any drives that do not contain an operating system", and will my 2009 HP Elite HPE-410y PC go through the Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium re-installation properly and will my 2009 HP Elite HPE-410y PC be working properly/correctly again?

Thanks for your help, I greatly appreciate it!!!!

~~~ @pinellas2015 ~~~

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm not sure I can properly sort out the question in the above post and frankly I'm having trouble actually visualizing what you are experiencing.
Generally although not always, on HP desktops and some laptops if you turn them off (completely off and not sleep, hibernate, hybrid sleep).... Off as in unplugged from the wall in the case of a desktop, unplugged from the wall and battery removed in the case of a laptop, then.......
In advance of restarting the computer (pushing the power button), hold the ESC top left corner of your keyboard key.
That will usually produce a boot menu from which you can select a boot device or enter setup or ........ or IDK.
I hope that helps.
Now watch, it won't work on your computer.

Reaction score
I'm not sure I can properly sort out the question in the above post and frankly I'm having trouble actually visualizing what you are experiencing.
Generally although not always, on HP desktops and some laptops if you turn them off (completely off and not sleep, hibernate, hybrid sleep).... Off as in unplugged from the wall in the case of a desktop, unplugged from the wall and battery removed in the case of a laptop, then.......
In advance of restarting the computer (pushing the power button), hold the ESC top left corner of your keyboard key.
That will usually produce a boot menu from which you can select a boot device or enter setup or ........ or IDK.
I hope that helps.
Now watch, it won't work on your computer.

Alright, now I don't want to sound like a smart-a**, but what do you mean by your last sentence: "Now watch, it won't work on your computer?" --- There is no video to watch on your third reply to me on this thread here on Windows10Forums.com.

Hopefully these pictures will give you a better understanding of my issues and will give you additional ideas on how I can get my computer working properly and correctly again.

Gracias!!!!
~~~~ @pinellas2015 ~~~~

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Alright, now I don't want to sound like a smart-a**, but what do you mean by your last sentence: "Now watch, it won't work on your computer?"
That was just me being a (e-mail address removed).
My sorry attempt at humor. Hard to be funny in text, or if you ask my wife...... in my case just hard to be funny

Reaction score
well no machine is perfect. You can try turning it off and on. And if the problem persists reinstall your windows. That's the best advice from my side. Further, if after the re-install you still see this problem, you might want to get the hardware checked

Ask a Question