SOLVED Edge is Annoying

Reaction score
I don't like or use Edge ever, it's not even my default browser. Since the 1803 update, each time (every night) I run CCleaner it stops and request If I want to close MS Edge NBrowser. I find the pop up message annoying, Cortana (another MS irritant) I have disabled.
Can anyone tell me why Edge is running in the first place, What is MS up to, gathering data...
icon_scratch.png

Reaction score
From Piriform

"Other applications (e.g. system processes) use the Edge database to store data so, if anything else is using the database when you run the clean, CCleaner will need to close it first before it is able to clean anything.

This is similar to the way that applications used IE code and storage pre-W10. The only difference is that CC could clean IE when it's open (or when anything was using it's storage), but not when Edge (or its databases) is open."

I also read that IE has always had a security breach in this matter. The cookies. Etc.. and apps using IE, were independent of IE and could easily be examined.

Not entirely a solution, perhaps, but you can click the item "Do not show this message again", in Ccleaner. Alternatively, you can untick all the instances, in the firs item of the options, under the edge title.

Added Later.

I have been having more thoughts on this. If "Other applications", use Edge, I am wondering, should Edge haters find a way to totally disable it, might it also cripple some of the Apps. And - is the cloud storage using Edge?
Not my problem, fortunately. I use Edge and find it an OK browser.

Last edited:

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I hate it as well....my problem with edge and 10 for that matter.....is sometimes from emails, links with in 10 itself and links on the net.....will open up in edge. Even tho I have FF set as my default browser. WHY? I can't freaking turn it off.

I've been into the protocol and file type settings changing every thing I can to use FF....some of the edge ones just can't be changed. That really sucks.

Reaction score
Yes! Even though FF is my default browser, Edge will open ocassionally when I click on certain links and sometimes when downloading. I find it's annoying.

Reaction score
Edge is quite useless compared with rivals - an overload of inappropriate items.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
For me; sure can....all those damned links/photos to crap I don't want or care to know about on the home page. Most of that crap you can't get rid of. Just like the link issue with edge...it opens some links whether I like/want it to or not. It does it anyway....that's BS. Don't get me started on the settings of edge.....that the most cumbersome piece of crap way to getting to something only to find that you can't change anything.

Those are the 2 biggies for me.....

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
We need to do what the EU did when it comes to MS browser infringement...and that's saying it nicely. When the EU sued and won....MS had to take out their browser. I would just like to be given the right to turn it off....that's all I want.

MS can still keep it built in to their OS....just give me the right to disable it.

Reaction score
I have to ask "what home page"? You can choose your own. I have only because of familiarity, always used Google DK. Sam popups adverts etc as has always been whether on IE Chrome or whatever. That is nix.!

Capture.JPG

Reaction score
For me; sure can....all those damned links/photos to crap I don't want or care to know about on the home page. Most of that crap you can't get rid of. Just like the link issue with edge...it opens some links whether I like/want it to or not. It does it anyway....that's BS. Don't get me started on the settings of edge.....that the most cumbersome piece of crap way to getting to something only to find that you can't change anything.

Those are the 2 biggies for me.....

@bassfisher I run "uBlock and Malwarebytes extensions for my FF browser they work great and help blocking lots of junk. Malwarebytes is my best PC friend.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    11.9 KB · Views: 539

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
@bassfisher I run "uBlock and Malwarebytes extensions for my FF browser they work great and help blocking lots of junk. Malwarebytes is my best PC friend.

That comment of mine was solely for edge. I'm well aware of extensions and plugins for Chrome and Firefox. My current default browser is Firefox with 2 extensions....Ghostery and Facebook Container.

Reaction score
Good post. I am still hoping , in this thread, for positive reasons for users disliking Edge. I agree it is absurd that it is so locked in to the code that apps seem to need it, default or not, to open up in many stated cases.
I do, really, want to know, for example, what are inappropriate items, as compared to other browsers

Keep in mind that the op has been answered, albeit without satisfaction.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I can come up with many reasons not to like Edge. It has the worst bookmark management of any modern browser including Internet Explorer. The interface is by far the worst I've seen in years with the exception of maybe Safari. It's simple to a fault. It's customization is anemic.

It does have a few positives. It's not Internet Explorer. It's fairly quick. It does handle pdf files and e books fairly well.

I hate it though and doubt I could ever get used to using it as a daily driver.

Reaction score
Sorry. I started the arguments so I have to keep on.
What problems do you have with the Bookmarks? Some small differences form, say, IE, but nothing brain storming?
Not sure what you mean by the interface, so cannot comment.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
What problems do you have with the Bookmarks?
For me....it alphabetizes the content in each folder and wont let you rearrange it. The simplicity of Chrome/FF to add a folder is bar none.....AND, you can move the content in each folder as you wish and it will stay that way.

Sorry. I started the arguments so I have to keep on.
You don't need to apologize.......this has been, for me, a well fact/formed debate with nobody getting the panties in a bunch. Very rare......LOL!

Reaction score
I hardly use Edge as well. Only have 4 sites bookmarked so far and only because they load faster in Edge than they do in Firefox.

Reaction score
I wonder what setting I (accidentally ) hit. Mine are not alphabetised

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I wonder what setting I (accidentally ) hit. Mine are not alphabetised
If may have changed in the few updates of 1709 and to 1803. For me it's been that way up to the Anniversary update and since then I quit using....period.

If you like it....by all means keep using it my friend. I can't stand it......it's like the red headed step child no one wants to talk about....LOL!

Reaction score
I have looked through the settings and cannot see anything relating to the order of bookmarks.

For the record. The first snip is how I choose it. The second clip is after manually moving one of the bookmarks.

Capture.1JPG.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Ask a Question