SOLVED Edge is Annoying

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As I'm on record as not being a fan of MS Edge and only use it as my default PDF reader....
I have no problems at all with bookmarks in general, I can move them around or simply right click anywhere in the list and choose "Sort by Name" which arranges them alphabetically
NOR
The Bookmark bar as I can drag and drop them anywhere on the bar as per preference.... usually left to right in order of the ones I most often use.

Still never going to be my choice for default browser.

Reaction score
I guess my "browsing requirements are simple. I have no need for any add ons. I fetch the odd item and when wanted, get info or come on to forums such as this. Ege does all this so I have no serious issues with it.
From the posts in this thread, the bottom line really seems to be that it is a matter of familiarity or preference.

Reaction score
Hello,

Windows 10 updates my pc. After the latest update, it now has paternally decided that any of my tried and tested websites on Internet Explorer are 'insecure'. It resists any attempt of mine to open IE.

Does Windows ever really believe that users should make their own decisions? Suppressive behaviour!

I want IE back!!!! Edge really irritates me in the way it redirects me to where IT (yes, pun intended!) wants me to go - and I have to jump through unfamiliar hoops to find my old favourites.

Can anyone please show me how to make IE live on my computer? Big Brother has decided I should not be allowed to use IE, no doubt in order to promote Edge.

Reaction score
I haven't used IE since Chrome was invented and have not found any reason to use Edge so I can't help.

Updates have not affected my preferred sites and favorites and bookmarks in Chrome ever.

Reaction score
"it now has paternally decided that any of my tried and tested websites on Internet Explorer are 'insecure'. It resists any attempt of mine to open IE."

Example?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Hey dave.......just a tip.....but if you highlight some text of a post....it can be a single word or a few lines or whole paragraph. After doing so a popup appears that says reply, click that and it will automatically quote that highlighted text for you with that posters username.

Reaction score
Example? ...

How about this ....
upload_2018-6-3_18-12-59.png

This appears on every site I try to reach in IE.

Reaction score
Dave hc,

If all you have to offer is that there is something wrong with my setup - well, I can work that out for myself.

I would really enjoy a response from someone who can point me towards actually what IS wrong with my setup.

Reaction score
Sorry, as I appeared to have offended you in some way?
The thread is regarding edge being annoying. I am only defending it.

Reaction score
No offended, but I refer you to my original post:

''Can anyone please show me how to make IE live on my computer?''

That's what I am after, not a defence of Edge.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Seems we've slipped from Edge being annoying to a second issue involving Internet Explorer.
Perhaps a discussion about Internet Explorer being equally annoying might be better suited for its' own thread, but.....
Right click the start button and choose "Run" from the context menu and in the Run dialog box type
iexplore -extoff
Hit enter or click OK.
That will open IE in a sort of Safe Mode with Extensions disabled.
Type your URL into the URL address bar and hit enter
See if you have the same results.

Reaction score
I don't like or use Edge ever, it's not even my default browser. Since the 1803 update, each time (every night) I run CCleaner it stops and request If I want to close MS Edge NBrowser. I find the pop up message annoying, Cortana (another MS irritant) I have disabled.
Can anyone tell me why Edge is running in the first place, What is MS up to, gathering data...
icon_scratch.png

Reaction score
Clive, could you please post your security settings of your IE here? I have tried the link you provided in my IE and it worked without a problem and my IE is all on default settings cause I never use it anyway. Maybe that way we can find out why yours does not want to work as intended....

Reaction score
OMG. My apologies. I missed the remarks concerning IE!!
I think I was focussed a little too much on the thread contents and title. (Edge)

Looks like Trouble or Grizzly may be able to climb in and help.
I did notice that, however hard I tried, the address automatically chnges from .co to .com, although BBC's official addres is now .co

Last edited:
Reaction score
Perhaps the staff could move the latter queries to a new thread?
Not sure, reading Clive's original post, how many sites with which he is having the problem. But I got interested in the one mentioned. It seems that, although the official BBC address is .co.uk, whilst you can open their basic home page with that address, any of their sub sections open as .com?

This only seems to be a problem with BBC, but Clive intimates a wider coverage. Perhaps Trouble's suggestion can fix it?

Reaction score
Grizzly,

Thank you for your suggestion.

In the meantime, amongst other desperate measures, I temporarily suspended AVG Internet security which I have on my pc. Then IE worked. Sort of, with bells and whistles, for some reason. Oh, for heaven's sake!

As usual, computing does something strange for no apparent reason, and I tear my hair. IE worked for months after installing AVG, then Windows updated, and the combination seemed toxic. I have no idea what triggered my loss of IE, and no idea which of my 'press every button in sight' attempts finally brought it back to life - and I never will. It was probably AVG, which spoils itself by popping up with childish, over-pally comments. Back to Kaspersky?

However, it seems that the issue is now solved … has now solved itself … just to confuse me further.

My thanks to those who attempted to bring light into my impenetrable computer darkness.

Ask a Question