How can I stop the BT Home Hub picture annoying me?

BML

Reaction score
Each day I switch my computer on then go to do something else while it gets going and when I come back I see the following on my screen telling me I'm not connected to the Internet. Obviously when the computer is switched on it does not make an immediate connection but does so a few moments latter. I just delete the picture and carry on but it annoys me that I have to. Is there any way that I can stop this happening?

upload_2017-4-12_9-13-26.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score

BML

Reaction score
Each day I switch my computer on then go to do something else while it gets going and when I come back I see the following on my screen telling me I'm not connected to the Internet. Obviously when the computer is switched on it does not make an immediate connection but does so a few moments latter. I just delete the picture and carry on but it annoys me that I have to. Is there any way that I can stop this happening?

View attachment 5162

Well, you certainly have a better memory than I do because I had forgotten that post. I'm sufficiently lacking in techno speak not to know what you meant by my provider. I know that I use BT Internet but as I get it from BT I guess its them so that should prove an interesting discussion. Many thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I know that I use BT Internet but as I get it from BT
Yep.... that would be my best guess also.
I would think that they would have some sort of support line that you could call, or at a minimum a support email form where you might start a trouble ticket.
Sorry, I was thinking that someone here might have BT as a provider and have similar equipment but apparently not.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Can you take a look at the Troubleshooting > Event Log tab and see when and why it disconnects please? It may be dropping the connection because of a line fault or other error - or perhaps there is some sort of activity timeout enabled.

If you can paste the relevant sections of the log here I can take a look :). I've not got a HH5, but I'm familiar with similar models.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I suspect Ian its Windows booting faster than the modem, thus it automatically opens a browser with the option of trying to connect to internet which eventually will connect once their modem is fully booted.

Personally, I'd just turn the modem on first, then boot windows a couple of minutes later.

Alternately, boot to lock screen, then don't rush to log in - wait a moment.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Wait..... What??
People actually turn off their modems?
I wasn't aware that this was a general practice.
Both my ISP provided eMTA device (Comcast) and my wireless router stay on 24 x 7.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I can certainly appreciate depriving the power company of income whenever and however possible (switched all my lights both incandescent and fluorescent over to LED), but.....
IDK if the cost saving(s) to me would offset the time spent waiting for my eMTA to boot up and do its' thing to handshake with the mother ship and then waiting for my wireless router to do the same.

I see and hear a lot of people almost obsessed with their computers maintaining a low power state (sleep and or hibernate) properly, which I can also appreciate (on a laptop.... a desktop, not so much).
So I suppose it boils down to a matter of choice / preference, as I wouldn't imagine the power consumption amounts to any huge dollar equivalent or savings.
AND
While we are on the topic.....
Why do people still call them "modems"
Modem = Mo (modulate) dem (de-modulate) analog to digital and then back again to analog. Unless folks have a dialup they don't likely have a "modem" anymore, since practically everything is round trip digital.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Well I cannot speak for all owners, but my Huawei is called a modem in its manual and on Huawei's official specs webpage. :rolleyes:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep..... that was kinda my point.
Everyone still "calls" them "modems"
Even though they no longer modulate or demodulate

Sort of like people call "tissue" paper "Kleenex"
OR
My granny called her refrigerator her "Frigidaire" even though it wasn't that brand, probably her first refrigerator was.

I wasn't trying to rewrite the English language, just posed the question.
Probably easier to call my Comcast provided eMTA a "modem" rather than referring to it as an "embedded multimedia terminal adapter"

Reaction score
Wait..... What??
People actually turn off their modems?
I wasn't aware that this was a general practice.
Both my ISP provided eMTA device (Comcast) and my wireless router stay on 24 x 7.
I don't turn mine off either, but you'd be shocked at how much juice your cable box uses when it's "off". Keeping my 3 unplugged unless I'm using them saves me $20-30 a month.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I suspect Ian its Windows booting faster than the modem, thus it automatically opens a browser with the option of trying to connect to internet which eventually will connect once their modem is fully booted.

Personally, I'd just turn the modem on first, then boot windows a couple of minutes later.

Alternately, boot to lock screen, then don't rush to log in - wait a moment.

I didn't even think of that - if the HomeHub is turned on each time the PC is turned on, that would certainly explain it.

I don't know how it works in other parts of the world, but in the UK if a modem/router is turned off like that on a regular basis, DLM (digital line management) kicks in and reduces the line speed profile as it thinks there is a fault. It should be a lot faster (once the line re-adjusts, which may take weeks) if it's left on 24/7.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this issue with the browser opening to the lovely informative BT Modem not being connected - try again message.

It occurred to me, that my initial observation that the modem is not booting as fast as the computer, may not be the actual trigger at all, but rather it may be the Microsoft Connect Test instead triggering this.

This portion of the Windows OS has been around a long time, and normally opens your default browser to a MSN webpage, but if the modem has not booted and connected, then that MCT trigger, may default to the BT Modem splash screen instead.

If this is correct then modifying the Registry may actually resolve this.
  • Press Windows key + S key together
  • In the Search/Cortana field type comm
  • In search results right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
  • When prompted by User Account Control click Yes
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet" /v EnableActiveProbing /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Press Enter key

Type exit and press Enter key

Done!

Ask a Question