SOLVED Another password problem

Reaction score
Just joined this forum and haven't found anything already posted that matches my query. The basic problem:

Recently upgraded to Win10 which is installed on a brand new hdd - so no going back to 8.1.

I don't want any synching so have a local administrator account on which a password and PIN were both set up. The PIN is currently my only access to the computer as I have forgotten the password. Settings gives the option to deal with and reset a forgotten PIN but not so with a forgotten password. So first question please for anyone willing to help is How to reset a forgotten password on a local account?

Second related problem is that I cannot use my Microsoft account to login because the password doesn't work. I have successfully reset my Microsoft account password about six times now but none of the new passwords lets me into the computer although each new password is alright for other MS things like Outlook

What I really want it not to have to use a password at all and what I fear is that I am now at high risk of being locked out all together if the PIN is suddenly rejected. This is such a retrograde step in Win10 for the likes of me - an ordinary private home user with single machine. Any help anyone can offer will be most welcome.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
How to reset a forgotten password on a local account?
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts\Manage Accounts\Change an Account
You should see

Capture.JPG

Personally, before I started changing, editing or adjusting anything with respect to the only working admin account on the computer......
I would create another local account as a member of the local administrators group (not a standard user) just to be on the safe side.

Reaction score
I don't suppose you could get the password from other software? If you used something like Quicken, you might be able to see passwords used for that?

Maybe a Twitter or Facebook account.

I have no way of knowing, but resetting the password in your Microsoft account may not take effect until the computer is actually online. But you are able to use a PIN to log onto you Microsoft Account through a Browser?

Reaction score
Just joined this forum and haven't found anything already posted that matches my query. The basic problem:

Recently upgraded to Win10 which is installed on a brand new hdd - so no going back to 8.1.

I don't want any synching so have a local administrator account on which a password and PIN were both set up. The PIN is currently my only access to the computer as I have forgotten the password. Settings gives the option to deal with and reset a forgotten PIN but not so with a forgotten password. So first question please for anyone willing to help is How to reset a forgotten password on a local account?

Second related problem is that I cannot use my Microsoft account to login because the password doesn't work. I have successfully reset my Microsoft account password about six times now but none of the new passwords lets me into the computer although each new password is alright for other MS things like Outlook

What I really want it not to have to use a password at all and what I fear is that I am now at high risk of being locked out all together if the PIN is suddenly rejected. This is such a retrograde step in Win10 for the likes of me - an ordinary private home user with single machine. Any help anyone can offer will be most welcome.

Reaction score
That was an extremely clear reply and I am delighted to say by following the steps I have now succeeded in restoring my local password and set up a couple of spare administrator local accounts (making a clear note of the passwords this time). Thank you very much for your prompt response and for the advice given.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you managed to get it resolved.
Thanks for the feedback

Ask a Question