Antivirus/ Malware software for W10

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, hgsbi84.

You have revived three old threads in a short time1 _lol.

You comments will always be welcome, IMO the above one. I have found consistently that the "Built in" DiskCleaner does not work. Run it, and then run it again, if you are in doubt. I have logged it persistently as a possible bug, without any feedback so far.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, hgsbi84.

You have revived three old threads in a short time1 _lol.

You comments will always be welcome, IMO the above one. I have found consistently that the "Built in" DiskCleaner does not work. Run it, and then run it again, if you are in doubt. I have logged it persistently as a possible bug, without any feedback so far.

What is the problem with Disk Cleanup? What's that bug?

Reaction score
AVG belongs to AVAST so basically it comes from the same company.

https://blog.avast.com/avast-and-avg-become-one

I myself use AVAST since AVG got way to heavy and also slowed down my pc to a crawl..
All I use now is Windows Defender. I will NOT pay AWIL $39,00 per year for a subscription when the last AIS cost me $29.00 for 3 years. I know that Avast Bought out AVG. Look at where they stand in the AV ratings and you will see that it is worthless.

Reaction score
What is the problem with Disk Cleanup? What's that bug?
Not sure if you would call it a bug. But it does not make a thorough job. Although you may choose the options to clean, if you then rerun it, you will find it ignored some of those same options. Maybe something that MS is aware of, but, for the moment, does not wish to rectify.

Reaction score
I've actually seen some file folders increase in size after performing disk clean up and won't delete even though they are checked off.

Reaction score
Glary Utilities, Malware Hunter and Malwarebytes, great programs. I run Gary Utilites and CCleaner at the end of every day.

Reaction score
Yes. A good word of caution! That applies to many so-called cleaners. It can go wrong for many, but, if you take the precaution of checking through the options with Ccleaner, it remains one of the most reliable. I have never had mishaps with it

Reaction score
All I have checked in Glary Utilities is Spyware, Tracks Eraser and Temp Files.
I never use registry cleaners. Even the best reg cleaners can cause damage.

Bif

Reaction score
I've used Ccleaner since it's inception and as long as you treat it with respect and know what to check, it is an amazing utility. I've NEVER used the reg cleaner it offers or any other reg cleaner for that matter...I look at reg cleaners like a bottle of engine stop leak, it may seem to fix problems initially but it generally exacerbates the issues down the road.
I've heard good things about Glary products but have never tried them.

Reaction score
Don't use registry cleaners - like ccleaner. You should do the maintenance of your PC with Windows built in tools like Diskcleaner and Defrag. Also you should use a main Antivir software - like Windows Defender with another security tools - like Immunet and Malwarebytes.

thanks for this post. currently, I am running W10 version 1607 and I have Window defender operating. I am no longer using CCleaner because it was causing some issue with the registry. Over the span of 17 years, I have used paid versions of AVAST, Norton Security suite and McAfee and number of others and for the most part, very mixed results. I do have Malewarebytes installed but the free versions goes away in a few days and of course, the paid version is $50 for two computers. Given todays cyber environment I am looking to for a reputable anti-malware source; I am not familiar w/IMMUNET? I see some threads using PANDA-is this compatible with W10?

Reaction score
I would not use Panda at all as it is one of the worst. Immunet is a cloud based AV software, so for it to work, an internet connection is needed (it does not store the definition files on the computer but in the cloud).

I'd rather use the free versions which I currently do with Avast (for several years now), never had a problem.

Reaction score
I would not use Panda at all as it is one of the worst. Immunet is a cloud based AV software, so for it to work, an internet connection is needed (it does not store the definition files on the computer but in the cloud).

I'd rather use the free versions which I currently do with Avast (for several years now), never had a problem.

Hi Grizzly, thanks I finally returned to AVAST Free version and Windows Defender. I used AVAST free version in 2008 and then upgraded to the paid license for two computer- but that did not turn out so well, to Norton. thanks again.

Reaction score
I use the Norton 360 and the paid version of Malwarebytes. One thing about malware and virus software the paid versions ALLWAYS give you real-time protection. That mean they stop the attack as it happens not through a scan after your attacked. Plus Malwarebytes as a new version.

They had added new protection to Malware which you get free for 14 days. After that the profession is required for complete coverage.

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/12/08/malwarebytes-3-0-new-all-in-one-protection/

Reaction score
I use the Norton 360 and the paid version of Malwarebytes. One thing about malware and virus software the paid versions ALLWAYS give you real-time protection. That mean they stop the attack as it happens not through a scan after your attacked. Plus Malwarebytes as a new version.

so does the free versions. they may not have all the features a pro version has but so far they always had real time protection as well.

Reaction score
so does the free versions. they may not have all the features a pro version has but so far they always had real time protection as well.

No they only have all the features for 14 days.

Check the link i posted real time protection expires AFTER 14 days. Also Anti-Exploit, Anti-Ransomeware, and malicious Website protection expire after 14 days. By real-time is means they stop the attack when it happens(prevents install). The free version removes with a scan after it's installed. This is true with most free anti-virus or malware software. That's why they have free and paod version.

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/12/08/malwarebytes-3-0-new-all-in-one-protection/

Reaction score
I have never paid and never will while the free versions are so good.
Windows defender is very good as i have found and picked these up instantly.

SupportScam: JS/TechBrolo.F is used as another dubious infection that is classified as Trojan infection. This is recently created for attacking its Windows OS Machines. This is used as another infection that benefits its online spammers. Once invaded, this threat will gradually slows down your system speed, triggers some system errors, weakens your system security to assist more infections, invasion of Adware, hijacker, and other spyware. It will get detected repeatedly into your screen, when you do regular scan. Hence, by staying on your PC, SupportScam: JS/TechBrolo.F always tries to download third-party installer from remote server and installs advertising software to infect your web browsers. It also add several unwanted extensions or Toolbar to your Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and keeps generating pop-ups and then ads every time you try to open the google or any Internet. So, if you don't get rid of SupportScam: JS/TechBrolo.F timely and safely. You should remove SupportScam: JS/TechBrolo.F as soon as possible from your system.
After getting installed into your web browsers, SupportScam: JS/TechBrolo.F will install some keyloggers into your PC, which will record and share everything, you enter into your PC, with its hackers as login credentials, banking information, credit card and debit card details, browsing history etc. The presence of this notorious infection will compromise your privacy and may even result in identity theft as well as financial crisis issue. Additionally, it consumes high CPU Resources which will make your system slower than ever before. It will also bypass the security measures in compromised PC and can easily break into your Windows PC. It also manages to find backdoor into your comouting machine, then it will freely bring other threats into your PC, and will destroy everything found on your system, such as files, applications, documents, and much more. Since, it uses some rootkit techniques, thus its quiet tricky to detect or remove SupportScam: JS/TechBrolo.F, this vicious infection completely from your system.

upload_2017-3-30_15-31-32.png

Ask a Question