SOLVED Any experts on HDMI connections ?

Reaction score
You point about database integrity well taken....but at the same time the radio astronomers had the same problems, although not as severe as the LIGO people have, trying to do interferometry between widely spaced telescopes. 3 important sets of people, Military, Business and scientists all had the same problem at the same instant.

I think the Ligo people use a separate network...point to point now but they'll have 3 or 4 more 'telescopes' or detectors by 2020.

Last edited:
Reaction score
but at the same time the radio astronomers had the same problems
I totally agree radio astronomers had the same problems that were just as critical. What I am saying is that military applications drove the need for global network time synchronization years before scientific research did. Even though scientific research via academia did most of work, DoD (DARPA) funded the vast majority of it and therefore, set the priorities. Looking for ET and stars being born was not the top priority back then - though I suspect it was used as further justification for the funding.

Ligo can't use point to point because as its name implies, you have to be able to see from one point to the other. The curvature of the Earth, not to mention the Rocky Mountains tend to get in the way. So not sure how they communicate but due to the sophistication of the project, I suspect through multiple, redundant methods (fiber optics, HF, satellite, MW, and the Internet).

Reaction score
By point to point I meant dedicated bandwidth with totally deterministic propagation characteristics. Fibre being probably the most likely.

Reaction score
:( Ummm, it does not appear you read what I posted in my last reply.

Windows, by default does indeed correct the date and time every 7 days! And it does this by syncing with "Internet time servers" - special purpose servers designed specifically to keep the world's networks in time sync with NIST atomic clocks. Microsoft maintains several Time Servers around the world. So you suggesting there is some idiocy going on is simply wrong! In fact, the syncing process is extremely clever as not only does Windows periodically check with a Time Server, but the time synchronization routine in Windows measures the latency between the atomic clock and your computer then compensates for any network delays when setting your computer's system clock! So we are talking accuracies to within a couple milliseconds at worst!

That is unacceptable. But that is a hardware issue, not the OS. As Tim suggested, yours being off by so much is the classic sign the CMOS battery is bad. Since they only cost a couple $, I recommend you replace it. Most likely, as Tim noted, it is a CR2032 3V "wafer" battery. Just be sure to unplug from the wall and touch bare metal of the case interior BEFORE reaching in to discharge any static in your body. And don't touch the new battery with your bare fingers - skin oils promote corrosion and attract dust. I put a clean, cotton sock over my hand. Once inserted, connect power and boot directly into the BIOS setup menu. Check/reset the date and time and make sure your drive boot order is correct. Then "Save and Exit" to boot normally and your date and time should be correct.

If your date and time don't stay correct after a new battery, then something in your motherboard's RTC circuit is faulty - that again, is not Windows fault. No OS automatically knows it is not displaying the correct time. Operating systems always depend on a hardware "oscillator" or "counter" for that, and only when the next "scheduled" time check occurs, will it correct any discrepancy.

And as I noted above, if your time drifts too much in 7 days, you can change that interval to once a day or even once every hour with a simple Registry tweak. Note some minor time drift is normal over 7 days. I'm an old military communications guy so I get a bit anal over correct time. Setting mine to check once a day keeps my system clock easily within 1 second of the NIST atomic clock. Note too, there are programs you can install to automatically check/reset your system time every time you boot. But I recommend you change the battery first.

I read posts to me at least twice.
I understand now the need to have independent clocking for computer hardware and software it is also nice to learn that this clock is synchronized with outside clock.
Except that, beside the niceties above, the system is screwed up because in my case I did not replaced the battery since computer was new (2006) and my clock is off for last two years.
It is not because i'm stupid ( using computers since 1998, replaced power supplies,hard drives,optical drives, memory, plus installed 10cm fan and exhaust hole at the back of my expensive monitor after figuring out it is being destroyed by heat (design disaster Hitachi/Hyundai W240D), almost all those monitors burned to death after 3 years, mine is still working fine, 9 years later), even figured local (monitor) power supply for that fan).
it is because I am a computer user not a fixer for 8 hr a day.
Replacing battery is not a big deal, I knew it was there but did not know it also powers clock, I figured I will replace it if prompted or if something goes wrong.
My point is I should get a box at least once a week that say :
" Mister computer user your coin battery in motherboard need to be replaced, for your convenience the battery type is CR2032 3V "
After all this is a COMPUTER !

Reaction score
"I read posts to me at least twice.
I understand now the need to have independent clocking for computer hardware and software it is also nice to learn that this clock is synchronized with outside clock.
Except that, beside the niceties above, the system is screwed up because in my case I did not replaced the battery since computer was new (2006) and my clock is off for last two years.
It is not because i'm stupid ( using computers since 1998, replaced power supplies,hard drives,optical drives, memory, plus installed 10cm fan and exhaust hole at the back of my expensive monitor after figuring out it is being destroyed by heat (design disaster Hitachi/Hyundai W240D), almost all those monitors burned to death after 3 years, mine is still working fine, 9 years later), even figured local (monitor) power supply for that fan).
it is because I am a computer user not a fixer for 8 hr a day.
Replacing battery is not a big deal, I knew it was there but did not know it also powers clock, I figured I will replace it if prompted or if something goes wrong.
My point is I should get a box at least once a week that say :
" Mister computer user your coin battery in motherboard need to be replaced, for your convenience the battery type is CR2032 3V "
After all this is a COMPUTER ! "

The battery is only used when the PC is unplugged from the wall, or if it is a laptop, when the main battery is totally flat. ( I had a Dell laptop from the late '90s like that, main battery flat, the RTC battery soon went dead and the clock had to be reset every time I used the machine)

SO I don't think you need a magic box! Replace the battery and check on every leap year day....

Reaction score
You need a magic box, do not tell me what I need. Count your leap years and dig into your box to your heart content if that makes you happy.

Reaction score
using computers since 1998,
Well, I will not hold your apparent youth and lack of experience against you then! ;)

The battery is only used when the PC is unplugged from the wall
Or if the master power switch on the back of the PSU (if it has one) is set to off.

I figured I will replace it if prompted or if something goes wrong.
You are not going to get prompted and waiting for something to go wrong is too late. File corruption has been known to happen when programs (including operating systems) get confused when timestamps suddenly appear with dates that don't match what they think it should be. This it not a problem if you remember EVERY SINGLE TIME to check/reset the date and time EVERY TIME you boot. But considering a twin pack of CR2032 batteries at Walmart costs under $5, why risk it?

I don't see there ever being a CMOS battery monitor program to tell you when to replace the battery. The problem is, when the computer is running, the PSU supplies the necessary voltage in that circuit. So the monitoring program will show the voltage is good. Since the only time the battery alone would be powering the circuit is when the computer is fully shutdown, no program can run to monitor it. So you either replace the battery every 3 years or so, or you look for the most obvious tell tale sign the battery is weak - the date and time being off.

In any case, the motherboard maker would need to build in this monitoring sensor and provide a way to access it through the BIOS information. That will ad to the cost of the board so not likely to happen for such a rarely needed feature.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Digerati, this is a mess that was my post up to " the batter is only used...
do not know how to fix it

Reaction score
Well, the thread was about HDMI problems, that was solved so this thread will be
mark as solved, my problems with computer sleep are persisting so I will open new thread in software. Thank you all very, very much.

Ask a Question