SOLVED Any experts on HDMI connections ?

Reaction score
Thank you Digerati, this make sense. Have to go to work now, will be back tomorrow.

Reaction score
if you boot to the bios you are using your graphic card ??? try removing the video card see if you see the bios
server-grade motherboards are designed to be used too boot in remote for repairs service not home pc

Last edited:
Reaction score
if you boot to the bios you are using your graphic card ???
Ummm, no. Not if you have a card properly installed. On virtually all motherboards today that have integrated graphics (not all boards do), when you install a card, the integrated graphics is automatically disabled in the BIOS. This is necessary to free up any shared system RAM, but also specifically to direct video to the card just so you can boot into the BIOS or Safe Mode or a different OS. To have both integrated and card graphics enabled (for multiple monitors, for example), you have to manually go back into the BIOS and re-enable the integrated graphics again. Just understand that you will lose some of your system RAM to the integrated.

try removing the video card see if you see the bios
server-grade motherboards are designed to be used too boot in remote for repairs service not home pc
??? Ummm, sorry, but again not true. Again, this is how virtually ALL motherboards works, home or server grade and that is how it has been for many, many years. That is, if previously you had a graphics card installed and you remove the card, the integrated is automatically re-enabled. If it wasn't, you would be hosed. You would not be able to see the prompt to boot into the BIOS.

Reaction score
im not even going to respond to that sorry you can google how many matherboards are out there without video onboard with out the latest boards that have video in the cpu built in

Reaction score
And yet you did respond! But sadly, with no help. I said above not all boards have integrated graphics. Newegg carries 40 Intel boards and 35 AMD boards that don't, so a card is mandatory with those boards, regardless the CPU's capabilities. Just because a CPU might support integrated graphics, that does not mean it is mounted on a board that does.

The point is, if you have a card properly installed, integrated graphics (if any) is automatically disabled unless you manually enable it again. And it does not matter if you boot into the BIOS or fully boot into the OS, the card is what the system will used. If you remove the card, integrated will be re-enabled (assuming the board is functioning properly).

But since we don't know the OP's system specs to know if using integrated or a card, this side discussion is immaterial.

Reaction score
again your not reading my post well i did not say in the above post that cpu support videocards i stated that today there are cpu with built in videocards ......... keep changing subjet here its ok all good no problem digerati subject closed thanks

Reaction score
Well, with all due respect, your posts are not written very well. You use no punctuation, no capitalization, and your sentences run into each other.

Not having a grasp of good writing skills is one thing if English is not your native language. But you post inaccuracies too like saying HDMI will lose its signal when the HDD goes to sleep. That's simply wrong. Or that CPUs contain video "cards". They don't. Some CPUs include the GPU on the same processor die, but these integrated processors MUST be mounted on a motherboard that has the necessary complementary components - like VRAM and connectors. And many motherboards don't thus requiring a separate graphics card.

Also wrong is your comment about booting into home PCs remotely. It's called Remote Desktop Connection in Windows and it has been around for "home" PCs for years. And with Wake On LAN enabled in the BIOS (also around for many years), booting the remote "home" PC from across the network or from around the world is easily done too. As for changing the subject - you brought up server-grade motherboards, not me.

So frankly, your lack of English writing skills is one thing and I can sympathize with that if just learning. But that along with the inaccuracies of what you post makes it hard to make sense of (or, sadly believe) what you say.

Now we are agreement on one thing - I don't wish to discuss this further either.

@Benton - sorry for the distractions. Please don't let them deter you from keeping us posted.

Reaction score
I am glad you are laughing joetech but I am not. Your English is poor, hard to understand and completely incoherent at times. I do not know your age but you sound very young, grow up and work on your communication skills that is my unsolicited advice. English is my second language (raised in Poland) it is not perfect but I am working on it.

Reaction score
I'm trying very hard to be polite but when you find arrogance and disgusting people that make fun of other people languages which I speak and write 4 of them I'm top honour graduate in computer language 28 years ago im analist im a beta test for microsoft and much more with pc I am 55 and I am try my best to speak English but when you find arrogant people that are looking for punctuation and capital letters to understand and they repeat and repeat complaining about the kind of stuff to me it's people like you Benton and digerati that make these forums that supposed to be international and polite one another and failed badly in doing so and I'm on my own shop in computer repair for the past 24 years I'm very successful I wanted to avoid having this conversation but when is enough is enough so I have a great time and I hope the people that run this forum will look at what's been going on Iike utelling me that I was wrong more the one time in a computer topic wich clearly he dose not know what is talking aboute i try to stop there but they are a lot of ignorant peaple that cant stop becouse of there arrogant behaviour and there will never change and then making fun of my language if you feel that that's appropriate I don't think this form is correct for me thank you and benton if it was up to me you would be banned from coming to this forum considering that you came here to ask a questions or help and you bashing a member !!!!!!!!!!!crazy stuff

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry Joetech1, I agree with some of the comments above - it is very hard to read your posts. We're an international forum and we're understanding of people that speak English as a 2nd language, however it's very difficult for us to understand your posts without punctuation.

There's nothing wrong with people responding to your posts if they disagree with what you've posted - everyone has been very polite.

Reaction score
So, Digerati, I am back, went to Sacramento (live in Redding) for work and while there shopped Fry's Electronics (amazing chain, biggest electronics stores in the world you should visit them if in California). Bought another HDMI cable and HDMI to DVI adapter. Replaced HDMI cable and could not believed my eyes ! edges of screen flickering, screen flashing black and square pieces of page ! very scary. So figured new cable defective, plugged old one, the same thing !
Well, had the adapter my last resort, plugged it in and.... screen back to normal, computer off - monitor sleeps like a baby, computer sleep- monitor sleep, computer on monitor on. So the problem is solved.
One thing though, there is this computer sleep mode FROM TIMER that after say 15 min of timer the signal to monitor is off but the fans are spinning ? ? but this might be the amazing WIN10 design work, after all it has 13 different sleep modes ! like, who needs it ?
I have some comments, HDMI computer connections are more common now,
why only I had problems with it ? Not many people bought 1920x1200 HDMI monitor in 2007 ? and tried to connect it to 2015 HP ?

Reaction score
If the fans are still spinning, that means the computer itself is not going to sleep. I use Hybrid sleep mode on all my PCs. Hybrid mode was designed specifically for PCs. It is different from Hibernation (designed for notebooks) and it works great with modern hardware and W10 (which is by far the best Windows yet). With the latest hardware, it also keeps your RAM alive in sleep mode, but in a very low voltage state so it can boot out of sleep mode even faster - but consume next to nothing while sleeping. Very nice.

Which fans are still spinning? Definitely should not be the CPU fan (although some do spin for a short time after going into standby/sleep mode to complete the cool down - but that's typically just a few seconds). The case fans should stop spinning as soon as the rest of the computer goes to sleep.
I have some comments, HDMI computer connections are more common now,
This is because the same folks who made big screen TVs and audio equipment for home theaters also made many of the monitors for computers. Since the video signal in DVI and HDMI was the same, it made no sense economically or logistically to have both HDMI and DVI connectors on their TVs and monitors. Plus, the DVI connector is huge. So the big screen TV industry shoved HDMI down on to the computer industry, whether we wanted it or not.

That is why many monitors come with integrated speakers now - though none, IMO, or worth anything except for Windows "system" sounds in an office.

But sadly, for many HDMI just has not worked as planed. This may be why the newer interface, (Display Port) is gaining popularity (besides the fact it is a royalty free interface - manufacturers have to pay a fee to include HDMI support on devices) and hopefully, one day, HDMI will go away.

As for your new HDMI cable not working, that suggests to me the HDMI interface in your old monitor just does not work. You would have to find another HDMI monitor to connect to your computer, or take your monitor to another computer and check to be sure.

but this might be the amazing WIN10 design work
I sense sarcasm but really, W10 is great and works perfectly for the vast majority of users. Considering there are already over 300 million W10 users, and virtually every single one of those 300M computers are unique, that is a pretty major accomplishment. And for sure, W10 was designed to support legacy hardware (assuming the manufacturers fulfill their responsibility and do their part to develop compatible drivers), but W10 was really designed to take advantage of all the wonderful advances in modern hardware - like SSDs, UEFI, DDR4 and more. For example, I built this new computer for W10 with a modern Z170 UEFI motherboard that uses DDR4 and SSDs. And of course, I use Hybrid sleep mode. It takes less than 7 seconds from sleep to the prompt to enter my PW. W10's resource management is much more refined so "housekeeping" and other background tasks happen way back in the background so users don't notice it. So W10 is fast in other aspects too.

Plus, W10 is the most secure Windows yet. So yes, amazing! :) You can say what you will about Microsoft and some of their marketing policies, but they make great products.

Reaction score
All three fans are spinning ( power, case, CPU) I am not concerned about speed of waking up but only do not want anything "warm" when sleeping.
Never had much against Microsoft (not an Apple fan ) but 13 sleep modes (my approximation) in W10 without easy info what they are for ? even you are lost !
My W7 can't keep correct, update time 7 years since it was introduced and after gazillion updates ! that's Microsoft too. What is so cool that W10 is finally "most secure yet " took them 18 years (since W98) of insecure windows to do it ! !
18 years of human grief and struggle.

Reaction score
My W7 can't keep correct, update time 7 years since it was introduced and after gazillion updates ! that's Microsoft too.
Not really. The system clock relies on the RTC (real-time clock), a hardware counter and part of the motherboard. The RTC is kept "alive" by the CMOS battery circuit when the system is powered down and unplugged from the wall. By default, Windows syncs the RTC to a NIST Internet time server every 604,800 seconds (once a week). I typically change mine to 86400 (every 24 hours).

If yours was always off (assuming you changed the CMOS battery), then your RTC was most likely faulty, not Windows.

Remember, this feature works perfectly for the vast majority of the nearly 1.5 Billion Windows computers out there.

As far as your fans spinning during sleep mode, that obviously is not right. Beside constantly making noise, it will increase wear and aging on the fan bearings. ASUS AI as well as Samsung Magician has been reported to cause this.

Also, some connected devices can keep a computer awake. I have a wireless mouse that does that. I had to go into device manager and disable "allow this device to wake the computer" for the mouse.

Reaction score
Well, today I left fans spinning and left to work when returned they were not spinning, do not know how long they were spinning, by the way what is the healthy CPU operating temperature ? Looks like they are spinning to cool hardware I need to look into it.
My clock in W7 works well when is set, but with any interruption of the system it shows for weeks wrong time and date, does not correct itself, it rely on me to correct it manually, that is totally unacceptable this after all COMPUTER.
Time is displayed in Windows so Windows should correct it. Any clock needs adjustment from time to time, relying on isolated computer hardware and not on atomic clock in Colorado in COMPUTERS is idiotic.
Not sure what make you think it work perfectly for nearly 1.5
Billion users. Because above I do not think so.

Reaction score
The RTC on a PC does NOT rely on ' isolated computer hardware '. It corrects itself from one or more of a set of internet time servers. Most likely the cmos battery on your motherboard needs replacing. All the ones I have seen are a standard CR2032 cell.

Modern cpus don't get that hot when they are idling which is most of the time, perhaps to 45-50 deg. They all have coolers mounted on top in desktop machines and a lot of them can turn their speed down if they get too hot as the chip has a temperature sensor.

Reaction score
Time is displayed in Windows so Windows should correct it. Any clock needs adjustment from time to time, relying on isolated computer hardware and not on atomic clock in Colorado in COMPUTERS is idiotic.
:( Ummm, it does not appear you read what I posted in my last reply.

Windows, by default does indeed correct the date and time every 7 days! And it does this by syncing with "Internet time servers" - special purpose servers designed specifically to keep the world's networks in time sync with NIST atomic clocks. Microsoft maintains several Time Servers around the world. So you suggesting there is some idiocy going on is simply wrong! In fact, the syncing process is extremely clever as not only does Windows periodically check with a Time Server, but the time synchronization routine in Windows measures the latency between the atomic clock and your computer then compensates for any network delays when setting your computer's system clock! So we are talking accuracies to within a couple milliseconds at worst!

My clock in W7 works well when is set, but with any interruption of the system it shows for weeks wrong time and date, does not correct itself, it rely on me to correct it manually, that is totally unacceptable this after all COMPUTER.
That is unacceptable. But that is a hardware issue, not the OS. As Tim suggested, yours being off by so much is the classic sign the CMOS battery is bad. Since they only cost a couple $, I recommend you replace it. Most likely, as Tim noted, it is a CR2032 3V "wafer" battery. Just be sure to unplug from the wall and touch bare metal of the case interior BEFORE reaching in to discharge any static in your body. And don't touch the new battery with your bare fingers - skin oils promote corrosion and attract dust. I put a clean, cotton sock over my hand. Once inserted, connect power and boot directly into the BIOS setup menu. Check/reset the date and time and make sure your drive boot order is correct. Then "Save and Exit" to boot normally and your date and time should be correct.

If your date and time don't stay correct after a new battery, then something in your motherboard's RTC circuit is faulty - that again, is not Windows fault. No OS automatically knows it is not displaying the correct time. Operating systems always depend on a hardware "oscillator" or "counter" for that, and only when the next "scheduled" time check occurs, will it correct any discrepancy.

And as I noted above, if your time drifts too much in 7 days, you can change that interval to once a day or even once every hour with a simple Registry tweak. Note some minor time drift is normal over 7 days. I'm an old military communications guy so I get a bit anal over correct time. Setting mine to check once a day keeps my system clock easily within 1 second of the NIST atomic clock. Note too, there are programs you can install to automatically check/reset your system time every time you boot. But I recommend you change the battery first.

As for your CPU temperature, there are many variables - including your ambient (room) temp. My idle temps typically sit well below 30°C with my i5 6600 which is pushed to 3.9GHz. And I use and recommend OEM coolers (if your CPU came with one - most do) as they are much more efficient (and quiet) today than many would like us to believe. My personal threshold is 60°C. I don't like it when my CPU temps sit above 60°C longer than a couple seconds. When they do, that is typically a sign to me I need to clean my dust filters. While most of today's CPUs can tolerate temps into 70s or even higher, stabilities issues may start to sneak in and/or CPUs may toggle down in speed as a safety precaution.

Reaction score
Digerati. As for time drift. I have been there as well. Read the WHOLE set of RFCs by that prof at Duke Uni ( or was it Delaware?) about clock synchronization for remote radio telescopes( which is why the whole Internet Time system was started. I set up the whole time synch system at the co I worked for back in the late '90s. A modern mobo really should stay within 1 millisecond a week imho...even my 10 year old Timex manages about 5 seconds a week. These kids today...

As for temps. I ran a stress test on my new PC ( 6th gen I5 retail pack with the oem cooler) It got to 54-56 C spread between the cores after 4 hours running the test in a 20 Deg room. Safe enough I think.

Reaction score
clock synchronization for remote radio telescopes( which is why the whole Internet Time system was started.
The main reason came before that to ensure collaborated works from geographically separated sources were properly sequenced for US military and government communication networks.

For example, databases where modifications are inputted by people all over the globe must be properly sequenced. It takes a lot longer for a "data packets" to reach the Pentagon from Australia than it does from STRATCOM (then SAC) HQ in Nebraska. These chunks of data are timestamped and if not accurate, can be reassembled in the wrong order once they reach the final endpoint.

In commercial applications where inventories, for example, are accessed from all over the world and first come, first served is how they do business, everyone has to be using the same clock or multiple orders may sell out the last of the inventory multiple times - not good for business.

A modern mobo really should stay within 1 millisecond a week imho
1ms/week would be nice but realistically is setting expectations way, WAY too high! That's 52ms/year. That would take over 19 years to drift just 1 second!!! The most accurate and expensive non-radio/GPS controlled watches in the world don't come anywhere near that.

So that's too much to expect from a $100 motherboard that does MUCH MUCH more than just keep time. On top of that, those RTCs used on motherboard are really pretty low tech and inexpensive components - one of many 100 components on every motherboard. And they don't have to be very precise simply because the motherboard designers know today's motherboards are likely to be networked, thus regularly synchronized with a Time Server.

And the amount of drift also depends on how the computer is shutdown and then how many hours the computer is totally off. For a PC, when you shut down the computer, it really goes into standby with the PSU still supplying +5Vsb standby power to keep the RTC ticking. But if you unplug the computer from the wall, flip the master power switch on the back of the PSU, use a power strip, or otherwise totally lose power, then the CMOS battery takes over. And depending on the charge of the CMOS battery, the RTC may, or may not keep proper time.

Ask a Question