Associating file suffixes with programs

Reaction score
I often convert ePub ebooks to .azw3 format using the calibre program. When I had Windows 7 clicking on ebooks with the .azw3 suffix made them open with the Kindle previewer. With Windows 10 clicking on .azw3 ebooks opens them in calibre. How do I get .azw3 ebooks to open with the Kindle Previewer?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs
Click the link that says "Associate a file type or protocol with a program"
Scroll as necessary to find your .azw3 file extension, select it and click the "Change Program" button

Reaction score
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs
Click the link that says "Associate a file type or protocol with a program"
Scroll as necessary to find your .azw3 file extension, select it and click the "Change Program" button

Thanks for your response.

After I clicked the 'Change Program' button I got a list of programs, and eventually got to a list of all programs on my computer. But I couldn't find any mention of Kindle. I know I have Kindle on my computer; I just opened and read a page or so of a mobi ebook (in the My Kindle Content folder of owner/documents). And in the same list as the azw3 extension there is the mobi extension, with Kindle Content showing as its program.

Is there a way of copying the Kindle Content from mobi to azw3? Or is there another way of associating azw3 with Kindle Content?

Reaction score
Thanks for your response.

After I clicked the 'Change Program' button I got a list of programs, and eventually got to a list of all programs on my computer. But I couldn't find any mention of Kindle. I know I have Kindle on my computer; I just opened and read a page or so of a mobi ebook (in the My Kindle Content folder of owner/documents). And in the same list as the azw3 extension there is the mobi extension, with Kindle Content showing as its program.

Is there a way of copying the Kindle Content from mobi to azw3? Or is there another way of associating azw3 with Kindle Content?

No solution? Is there any other place I can ask?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You may need to install the Kindle For PC software.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/fiona/kcp-landing-page?ie=UTF8&ref_=kcp_pc_ln_ar
To associate your .azw3 file extensions you will need to perform the task as I indicated above and browse to
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle\application\Kindle.exe
Your appdata folder may be hidden so you'll need to change that setting to show hidden files and folders

HiddenFilesFolders.JPG

Ask a Question