Auto spell check is on but not working

Reaction score
Just upgraded to windows 10 about two weeks now. Auto spell check doesnt work properly. I get a red line, but right click gives no suggestions. Everything is ON in settings, devices, spelling and typing. Whats wrong?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum.

If you've done as you stated, and toggled all the options on via Settings | Devices | Typing, then that will mean you also toggled to the on position Autocorrect misspelled words.

Assuming that is turned on, then the red squiggly line you are seeing will only offer up an option or options, if there is a correctly spelled word inside the Dictionary file itself. If the word underlined with the red squiggle, is in your mind correctly spelled, you can right-click on it and select Add to dictionary to improve the Dictionary file itself.

At the moment the Dictionary file is somewhat limited - as to why that is, I have no idea. Pre Windows 10 days, Microsoft had a half decent spell checker, but currently its not as good.

You can manually add words to the Dictionary file for the Language pack you are using yourself to make it more effective:
  • Open File Explorer
  • In the address bar, type or copy & paste the following, then press Enter key:

Code:
    %AppData%\Microsoft\Spelling

• Select the Language directory you want to modify the Dictionary file in
  • Right-click on the Default.dic file and select Open with then select to open it with Notepad
  • When Notepad has opened, simply enter a list of words, then save.

Note: Each new word entered must be on its own line!

Sample image

Sample.png
If you decide to remove words, you can use the same method above and remove the lines not needed, but if you want to clear the entire Dictionary file, then its simpler to do the following:
  • Open Settings | Privacy
  • On the left pane select Inking & typing personalization
  • Now on the right pane click the hyperlinked: View user dictionary
  • Now click the Clear Dictionary button

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Even lost the spell checker in word97 ive been holding on to. I just uploaded a free dictionary by farlex from microsoft and something called tinyspell. I wonder if these make a full dictionary now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Even downloaded the oxford free dictionary. Says I own the app but cant find it on win10. None of the three dictionary added seem to improve spell check with a list of suggested corrections. This begs the big question: Is there a way to improve the current spell check? ...and not one word at a time

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
As you have managed to grab some dictionaries to check your spelling with, then you can slowly but surely train your default Autocorrect List by doing the following:
  • So you were happily typing away when you notice that dreaded red squiggle below a word you typed. Verify how to spell it correctly, then do the following to train that Default autocorrect list:
    • Open File Explorer
    • In the address bar type, or copy & paste the following:

%AppData%\Microsoft\Spelling

• Press the enter key to take you to that directory
    • Select the language folder you wish to use
    • Right-click on default.acl and select open with then select Notepad
    • When Notepad is open, type in the word as you misspelt it, and the correct spelling of the word, separated by a pipe ( | )

Example:

ardverk | aardvark

The left side of pipe is the incorrectly spelt word, and the right side of pipe is the correctly spelt word.

As you add these errors and correct spelling to your list, autocorrect will automatically replace your misspelt word with the correct one, and failing that, by right-clicking the misspelt word, you should be offered the correct spelling to choose from.
As I said in my previous post, Microsoft replaced a perfectly fine Autocorrect system with what we currently have in Windows 10 - for what reason; I have no idea. Unfortunately you'll need to train your default autocorrect file until you are a Spelling Bee Champion.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question