Win Ten Auto Repair looping...

Reaction score
Win Ten Auto Repair looping...

i7 Sony Vaio Laptop

OK guys, I need a bit of help please...

I am freaking tired of missing the 20 second window (or whatever short time it is) when Win 10 does the "Scanning and Repairing Drive c" procedure. It's stuck in a loop.

It's been five days now I've been trying to catch the "Hit any key to continue" display and have thus far missed it. This last time, I have been watching it run all day and I get up for fifteen seconds to go to the bathroom and when I came back it had moved forward to the next screen, AGAIN. CRAP.

There seems that there simply must be a way around this. I've tried getting into Safe-Mode but can not.

How do I interrupt and stop this process?

Thank you for your time,
John

Last edited by a moderator:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You'll probably need to boot from the installation media. If you do not have the installation media on hand you can download the ISO from here
Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD, http://imgburn.com/ (dual layer media and burner required)
or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, http://rufus.akeo.ie/
either of which you can use to boot your computer.
Then try using the "Repair your computer" link on the second or third page following choosing keyboard layout and language.

RepairYourComputer.png

See if either "Startup Repair" or "System Restore" in the Advanced Troubleshooting options helps to resolve your issue.
There may also be an option to "Go Back" which might be helpful.

Reaction score
The skip scan on my system gives you about 8 seconds right after the boot logo to hit a key to skip. If you skip a scan, the drive will probably continue to show as dirty. There is a chance you are having drive or controller problems..

If you know which drive letter is having a problem, open an Admin command prompt and type the command below. Replace c with the effected letter and let us know what it shows.

fsutil dirty query c:

Reaction score
Well... AS SOON as I can see the skip screen, I will know what to do from there. Everyone seems to be missing the intent of my question.

As an example, when I went to bed last night the computer was at 3% scan. This morning, it was at 3%. Now it has moved to the next screen which is the Repairing screen. This will run four to five hours and [[ THEN ]] I can try to catch the ever ELUSIVE eight seconds I have to "Press any key" to then go to Windows.

This is now six days that I have been trying to catch the eight second bullet. Pure BS!

Hince my original question... how the heck do I INTERUP AND STOP the scan? (not the eight second Windows way)

Now... can someone recommend a good third party software I can use to repair bad sectors? I WILL [[ NEVER ]] (( EVER )) USE chkdsk AGAIN!!!!!!

Thank you for the kind reply,
J

Ask a Question