Automatic Novemeber update caused multiple issues

Reaction score
I have been running Windows 10 with no problems for quite some time and two days ago automatic update installed what I believe was the Threshold update. Everything seemed to install ok, but as it turns out something went horribly wrong.
My symptoms started with a message that my HP printer would not be fully functional without a software update, so I went to the HP website and downloaded the drivers and software. My problem began with trying to install this software. The UAC popup had no option to click yes [or no for that matter].

Next problem was I then tried to access the control panel, which did open but only with a blank white screen. Multiple restarts and a hard reset did nothing to fix these problems. About this time I realized I might have a semi-serious issue so I decided to do a system restore.

This leads to problem #3...all my restore points were gone. "there have been no restore points created for this computer"
So then I tried to roll back to previous build, and yep, that failed too.

I even tried to restore to my previous saved system image from an external drive and that also failed.
Final and computer killing problem was after restarting the computer I got the black screen with cursor at startup, nothing worked to fix it. After several attempts with Microsoft support on the phone failed to correct the issue I was able after multiple hard resets to get into the repair screen and do a factory restore.

I had forgotten how much I disliked Windows 8.1 so I did a clean install of 10 and all is working well again. My issue now is the November update has not yet automatically run again and I am terrified what might happen when it does. Any ideas what might have caused these problems and what, if anything I can do to avoid it happening again?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I think the first thing I would do is
1. Immediately create a system restore point manually.
2. Use a third party disk utility to creat a disk image (not a system image)
Read this..... https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/
I use Acronis which is a paid for commercial application. A lot of people seem to like Macrium Reflect which still offers a free version.
Then after the update installs again (and it will) after rebooting, before doing anything else go back into Windows Updates and manually check for updates again, I believe that there is a cumulative update for 1511
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3118754)

Reaction score
Thank you for the great suggestions. I will build a disk image now. I never would have thought to run updates immediately after an update just ran, so again very helpful.
I did also run a Microsoft utility to prevent my Nvidea drivers from automatically updating as it seems that is a common cause of the black screen error after this update.
Hopefully the next time this update runs it will go better.

Ask a Question