Automatic "UNDO" symptom is FRUSTRATING

Reaction score
Here is the scenario:
No matter what I am working on, no matter what application... periodically my Windows 10 computer will "go back" to the state that it was before... and whatever I may have clicked on or typed is gone. This is not so bad when all I am doing is surfing pages on the web. However, when I am actually doing something that I want to stay, and it goes away, it is extremely frustrating.

I have no idea what may have precipitated this behavior. The timing seems random to me. It does not appear to be associated with any mouse click or keystroke.

I sure would like to eliminate this behavior. I have done sweeps of my computer and storage with antivirus software to make sure I didn't have a nasty lurking somewhere. I have reset and restarted my computer (when it first started occurring).

If anyone has EVER seen something like this and MIGHT have a solution, I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks for reading.

Reaction score
As a 2 finger hunt and peck typist I have a similar problem. For me it is sometimes hitting the left Ctrl key when I want the shift key. Once in a while I hit a ctrl-something when I just want a capital letter. This can certainly do an undo in some apps.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Could you give an actual specific change you have made that reverts back?

Are we talking about Device settings? What specific device?

Settings you make in an application? What specific application?

Settings you make in Windows 10's settings pane? Which settings?

As an example: Someone using a Synaptic driver for their mouse may notice each time they restart computer, or sign-out then sign-in again, a setting they changed for their mouse reverts back to the former setting. In that scenario simply modifying a single Registry value resolves this behaviour:
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTP\Install
    • Modify the value: DeleteUserSettingsOnUpgrade to have a Data value of 0

Whatever it is you cannot get to stay set, may have a assigned registry value that needs modifying, to prevent reversal of your changes during a sign-out | sign-in, or restart of computer.

Another example: Losing the Run dialog history
  • Third party applications that clean the registry and temporary files etcetera., often have system settings that affect the Registry sub-key RunMRU which stores the Run dialog history. [e.g. Ccleaner has a box you can check for Run (in Start menu) and if checked the Registry sub-key RunMRU is wiped clean.]
cc.png

Solution: Remove the check!

The point being you may be using a Third Party application that is causing your issues.​

Reaction score
Here is one scenario:
I did a search for a particular song (Arlo Guthrie's Motorcycle Song).
Search results displayed.
I clicked on the link that directed me to YouTube.
I started watching the video, hands off the keyboard and mouse.
After about 2 minutes, the song stopped in the middle, the display reverted back to the search results. No more You Tube window in the browser, no more song. Absolutely NO input from me.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi fjvanwet,

If you right-click on Start and select Event viewer and when open select Applications you could check what was going on around the date/time this took place.

Off the top of my head I can think of three things that may have happened:
  • Windows Explorer may have crashed and restarted
  • The browser you were using may have crashed
  • Adobe Flash may have crashed, or the equivalent software you use in order to view youtube video content.

Ask a Question