SOLVED Background images time setting

Reaction score
Hi Gents

In windows 10, the time setting for changing desktop Images is 1 min, 10 mins...... is there anyway I can set it to 1, 3, 5, 10 ....like in windows 8 ? thanks.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi blueriver649,

Welcome to the Forum.

The previous time shuffles still exist but are buried within Windows 10, in part because some Users found if they decreased their slide show shuffle to say 10 seconds per slide, this created problems when it came to renaming files as the screen would refresh too quickly.

Nevertheless, if you wish to have more choices for the delay between slide #1 and slide #2 etcetera, then do the following:

• Press your Windows key + R together to open the Run dialog
  • In the Run dialog Open field type or copy & paste the following Shell command:
Code:
shell:::{ED834ED6-4B5A-4bfe-8F11-A626DCB6A921} -Microsoft.Personalization\pageWallpaper

Sample image

img1.png
  • Click OK
After clicking OK you'll be taken to the old Control Panel settings as in image below.

img2.png
  • Click the drop arrow next to Picture location and select Windows Desktop Backgrounds
  • Select the images you want
  • Check the Shuffle box
  • Select the desired time delay then click Save changes button
Example

img3.png

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Registryedit32,

Thanks you so much, can you explain more about the Hex # and the Shell ::: R We editing the Registry ? it looks to me We r using the Powershell. I also an IT guy, I want to understand more... thanks 1000

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Windows 10 still contains the Control Panel. This is a Shell which contains several objects you can run.

In the Windows OS that existed before Windows Vista, most of the Control Panel objects could be started using a Shell command like so:

Code:
control.exe /name Microsoft.Personalization

That would have opened the Control Panel's (.cpl) Shell object Personalization or if this was all ready open, it would bring the running instance to the front of any other open applications or shells.

Windows Vista saw the majority of the objects inside the Control Panel Shell becoming Shells in their own right, and this has continued through to Windows 10 where most of the Control Panel is now virtually obsolete given we now have the Windows Settings accessed via Start > Settings.

As most of the Control Panel's objects are Shells we need to access them by using the Shell::: command followed by the CLSID of the object, for example: {ED834ED6-4B5A-4bfe-8F11-A626DCB6A921} , then the System Application name of the Object, which for the CLSID GUID in this example is Microsoft.Personalization, and finally if we want a specific section of the application such as wallpaper, we add \pageWallpaper to the command, which results in the full command:

Code:
shell:::{ED834ED6-4B5A-4bfe-8F11-A626DCB6A921} -Microsoft.Personalization\pageWallpaper

There are no Hexadecimal values involved directly in this case, unless you are referring to the two new values added to the Registry if you enable the Desktop Slideshow
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Personalization\Desktop Slideshow
    • Interval
    • Shuffle
You can manually edit these, but its probably easier to stick to the Decimal value where for example. 10000 would equal 10000 millisconds, i.e. 10 seconds, and 1 in the case of Shuffle, would simply equate to activate shuffle.

Reaction score
Is there any way to make Windows 10 desktop slideshow change faster than 10 seconds? Like 3 or 5 seconds?
Thanks!

Reaction score
Hello Regedit32.

I am delighted to have found your answer to this somewhat maddening problem.

Going to Google brings up many 'partial' answers --- in that they almost all universally miss the entire command.

Yours is the only one to have shown the full command.

Code:

I was beginning to think that the latest iteration of W10 had dispensed with that more detailed control.

Its a crying shame that MS only seem to allow 1 minute or 10 minutes with no other times (minutes) in between.

I love my wallpapers but 1 minute is too short & 10 minutes is too long.

So you fixed it -- & I didn't have to create a new thread into the bargain.

Cheers

Q

Reaction score
Sadly, Regedit left the forum some time ago, but would have been happy with your comments.
Since then, as always, I understand (never used it) that the suggested fix no longer works

Reaction score
In case anyone is interested, the finely illustrated tutorial offered by Regedit32 not only works for Windows 10 users, but also in Windows 11. As a Windows 11 user I am grateful for the work that Regedit32 put into sharing this helpful tip.

Reaction score
Yes, this shell edit works great, good for one of my picture folders I am using for backgrounds [700+ pics in folder] ... BUUUUT , what i would also like to know is ... is there a way to set up your (right-click) 'Personalize / Background / 'Change Picture Every' dropdown box to include different minutes ?? . Like 3 or 7 or 15 minutes for example.

Ask a Question