Backing up Windows 10

Reaction score
Is it possible to back up windows 10 to an external hard drive along with my files, i cannot find any info on it. cheers ken.

Reaction score
Do you want to do an Image backup or a backup like a 1:1 copy of your drive?
For image backups there are several programs available like Acronis TruImage, Macrium Reflect, O&O Diskimage and others.
here is some Info on it: http://www.toptenreviews.com/software/utilities/best-disk-imaging-software/

Is that what you were looking for?

I personally am using TruImage for backup (once a week the whole HDD to an external drive)

Reaction score
Personally, I just use the built-in Imaging utility. Others prefer third party options because they are more versatile.

Reaction score
Saltgrass I have to agree. I've used the native imaging and it does work very well.

Reaction score
I use Macrium Reflect (free), much recommended on this forum. It produces a daily image of my C drive including Windows and programs. In my case those are all held on an SSD. My personal files (Documents, Videos etc.) are on an internal rotational drive and that is backed up to either of two ext. USB hard drives. Therefore I cannot confirm that, if you have all your personal files on the C drive, they will be included in the Macrium image. I am sure they will. Perhaps someone here could confirm.

I have tested Macrium by getting my machine to boot on its image and it worked perfectly.

Before, I relied on Windows Backup and Restore, but never had the courage to test its ability to restore my computer. This was because the advice on the Internet, from Microsoft and others, was too vague and conflicting regarding whether everything would be restored.

Reaction score
Steve I can assure you the native imaging will will create a mirror image and restore the image as found.
About 6 months back my PC was really acting up after an update. I performed a clean install of Windows 10 which deleted all my C: drive data, including my back up programs. Feeling frustrated after the re-install I just restored my my PC from the native imaging that I always keep on my external USB HD. All my personal files were all restored no problems. My preference for imaging is 1. Acronis 2. Aomei Backupper 3. Windows (Win 7) imaging.

Reaction score
Is it possible to back up windows 10 to an external hard drive along with my files, i cannot find any info on it. cheers ken.
I have used "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" found in the Control Panel to create a system image many times. I did have to use the image I created when one of our computers had a hard drive crash. I had an image backup on an external hard drive and was able to restore it to a new hard drive. It worked perfectly. I delete the image from the external HD and create a new one every few months to keep it up to date. The image backs up everything just as it is on that date including the OS, documents, pictures, programs, etc. You can only use it to restore everything, not pick a specific category. No need to purchase a third party software.

Reaction score
I use Macrium Reflect for 2 reasons:

1) Daily incremental backups take just a few minutes and I consolidate them to a single file every 4 weeks or so.

2) Any of the increments plus main image can be mounted as a drive and individual files/folders copied from the backups.

So I have the option of full image or file restores from the same backup system for each of the last 30 days or so.

I also rotate backup drives offline and Macrium Reflect handles this perfectly.

Reaction score
I use the free version of Macrium Reflect set up to create on an external drive (i) a weekly complete disk image, (ii) a daily differential image Image, and (iii) to automatically delete images older than 8 days. If set up correctly no further attention is necessary. Make sure you follow instruction to make a bootup CD or USB stick. The disk image is easily mounted for restoring individual files. To date I had no need to restore an entire disk image and would be a bit wary of attempting this just for the fun of it.

Reaction score

Hello,
I use an external Seagate hard drive to back up my hard drive (full system including all personal files) and it has saved my bacon a number of times. The software that I use to back it up is furnished by Seagate if you use one of their disks. You can order the hard drive from seagate ( http://www.seagate.com/ ) and you can download a copy of their backup program (a subset of the Acronis software package ) and use it. I have been doing full pack backups this way for years and doing restores when necessary. (virus problem, failed hard drive, etc.)
A friend recently found that Wester Data offers the same backup program if you are using their disks.
You can also call Seagate for planning and support of both the disks and the program. 800-732-4283

Good luck

Reaction score
Basically they all do what they are designed for. Some just have more bells and whistles than others.

Ask a Question