SOLVED Backup and System Restore

Reaction score
In windows 10 pro is a System Restore Point created automatically when performing a Windows Backup (including a system image).

Bif

Reaction score
In windows 10 pro is a System Restore Point created automatically when performing a Windows Backup (including a system image).
It's hit and miss if you're expecting it to be done automatically, the best and preferred method is to simply manually create your own prior to a backup/image.
...and just a note, no gaurentee on how long said created system restore point will last, MS has a history of deleting all points post cumulative updates.

Last edited:
Reaction score
System Restore is disabled by default Win 10. Make sure that you enable it and create a Man. Restore. Windows should create a new Restore point when making major changes to your OS.

Reaction score
I have never bothered with the built in backup system(s), since their innovation. I use a third party program. Most of these, if that is your direction, you can set to a schedule. I use an old copy of Acronis, but there are several free ones available, which are just as good. If you are interested, I have been playing with a few lately, and have found, of all, this one is marginally the best for me.

https://www.aomeitech.com/

Reaction score
I have Acronis and Aomei and use both regularly. My preference is Aomei, it's user friendly, easy to use and does more than my free limited Western Digital edition of Acronis.

Reaction score
Thanks to all who responded. System Restore being "Hit & Miss" is an understatement!
Problem now resolved by tweaking Power & Schedule settings.

T_J

Reaction score
I used 'Drive Image 5' from 200? to 2012 on a 2000 Dell desktop triple boot (98se, 2k, & XP). Currently have 2000 Dell (no internet) & 2012 Dell connected to a KVM switch.

My 2012 Dell desktop originally had W7, which got the free upgrade to W10 in 2016. Recently I've used the 'Backup and Restore (Windows 7)' which is on my 2012 W10 Dell. While 'Backup and Restore (Windows 7)' is very slow for creating an image, it restores images faster. While I'm sure it's not the best, it's free if you have a W7/W10 updated PC like myself, plus it's probably already on your PC. I restored 'system images' several times in the last week (due to my 1703 to 1709 update / McAfee problem), and it worked perfectly every time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the program, not as fast as most. Its just a matter of choice. Time/speed means nothing when your retired LOL

Reaction score
Many thanks to all responders.
I want to mark the thread as solved but as ever it's not clear how to.

Ask a Question