Backup Error

Reaction score
After I backup I get an error message: The system cannot find the file specified (0x80070002). How do I fix this?

Reaction score
After I backup I get an error message: The system cannot find the file specified (0x80070002). How do I fix this?
I had the same problem Janet, people did reply to my posts but nobody came up with a solution, I did get help from protech and we had to reinstall Win 10, my backup works fine now, Don't forget to copy your Doc's, Photo's Music etc to a slave drive to reinstall later.

Reaction score
There are all types of "backups" on a Windows system. Please be more specific and describe your process and when exactly the message comes up.

Are you doing a file backup, an image backup or some other type of operation? What are the steps you are using to complete the process?

Reaction score
There are all types of "backups" on a Windows system. Please be more specific and describe your process and when exactly the message comes up.

Are you doing a file backup, an image backup or some other type of operation? What are the steps you are using to complete the process?

The error message states"- Backup Files.....(date) 100004_error
Backup encountered a problem while backing up file

Reaction score
The error message states"- Backup Files.....(date) 100004_error
Backup encountered a problem while backing up file
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Podcasts.
Error: (The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))

The is just a normal backup on Win 10 but I think I've fixed it, and hope that I haven't created another problem, by typing the path into the address bar of "This PC" and deleting all files with Podcasts in the name

Reaction score
Possibly there is some file the system is trying to backup it can't access. If you check the backup settings, go over the locations being backed up to see if any of those might not be accessible during the process.

I don't suppose it gives you the file or location with the error?

The only folder I have in that location is AppData. Possibly some iTunes install put something in that area if you had been using podcasts..

Reaction score
Possibly there is some file the system is trying to backup it can't access. If you check the backup settings, go over the locations being backed up to see if any of those might not be accessible during the process.

I don't suppose it gives you the file or location with the error?

The only folder I have in that location is AppData. Possibly some iTunes install put something in that area if you had been using podcasts..

That's just it..............I don't use Podcasts except once on my iPhone...........but you're right about iTunes putting it there and the files I deleted were iTunes\Resources if that's any help to you and they were also dated back in 2014 so go figure. I tried to open the backup files set by Win 10 to investigate there but it wouldn't let me and when I looked outside of the backup area I couldn't even find anything with Podcasts or iTunes in it. Maybe I should delete & re-install iTunes again.............just a thought :)

Reaction score
I have iTunes installed on my system but I don't use any of those, so far. It might the process of registering to view or stream them could be involved.

Reinstalling iTunes is up to you. Can you make a file backup successfully now? Can you remove that file\folder for the backup options if you are still having a problem?

Reaction score
I have iTunes installed on my system but I don't use any of those, so far. It might the process of registering to view or stream them could be involved.

Reinstalling iTunes is up to you. Can you make a file backup successfully now? Can you remove that file\folder for the backup options if you are still having a problem?

So far the backup is going fine but I still can't access files from the backup option unless I exclude the whole the whole folder.............it just won't let me open it to exclude things inside it............thanks for your help, much appreciated :)

Reaction score
I spoke too soon, my win 7 backup in Win 10 has yet again failed with this message showing
The system cannot find the file specified (0x80070002). after all the trouble of reinstalling Win 10 What a waste of time, I used Win 7 for years with hardly a problem, Microsoft needs to fix this Operating system plus now I get this problem with updates Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3106246) - Error 0x80070643 think this PC is heading for the skip

Reaction score
I spoke too soon, my win 7 backup in Win 10 has yet again failed with this message showing
The system cannot find the file specified (0x80070002). after all the trouble of reinstalling Win 10 What a waste of time, I used Win 7 for years with hardly a problem, Microsoft needs to fix this Operating system plus now I get this problem with updates Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3106246) - Error 0x80070643 think this PC is heading for the skip

What file can't it find, mine was Podcasts? I've go no idea about the Win 10 update, someone from MS will have to advice I think :)

Reaction score
This file first failed to install on 1st Jan 2016
Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3106246) - Error 0x80070643

Reaction score

Ask a Question