Backup programs won't work, so I think it's Explorer folder security settings

Reaction score
Several months ago I built a new PC and installed Windows 10. Before this, I had no problems backing up my 4 internal drives with AOMEI (also on Windows 10). But now I've tried about 6 popular backup programs, and they all only backup the C drive (The C drive is a new SSD to this PC) and some folders & files from the other internal drives. A friend thinks it's a Windows 10 permissions issue. I followed an online tutorial he sent me to change the permissions within the advanced security settings for the folders on the internal drives, where I added my current user account as the owner of the folders and sub folders. He also had me use VSS in the backup software settings. None of these solutions worked. So I even copied everything from all the drives to an 8TB drive, formatted the three internal drives (except c drive), went through the permission changes again on the formatted drives, and ran AOMEI backupper again. Same results. One of the drives' folders didn't show up in the backup at all, and the other two drives backed up all the sub folders, but very few files. I'm not a technical person, so dumbed down advice would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Check if the drives/folders are protected Bit Locker...
Also If using Defender AV, try adding Aomei Backupper.exe to Defenders list "Allow app through controlled folder access.

Ask a Question