Backup

Reaction score
Having installed Windows 10 now find that the backup software supplied with my Seagate Freestyle portable hard drive is not compatible and no upgrade is forthcoming. However the Freestyle disk is still accessible through File Explorer, for have copied files back to the second system hard disk to free up space for Windows 10 Backup.

Problem for me is that the Windows 10 Backup philosophy is not like that of Seagate. Windows 10 expects everything - data, images, music, video, and downloads - to be gathered under C:\Users\"user name"\folder, whereas Seagate presents the expanded disk directory structure and you tick the boxes for the directories you wish to back up.

Frankly its will require too much effort for me to rearrange my file to satisfy the Windows 10 philosophy. All of my downloaded apps are in separate folders under my C:\Application Downloads\ folder. (They may also be under the C:\Users\ folder but I never go there). All my photos, music, and videos have never been saved under C:\Users but are scattered in numerous folders across the directory.

So my question is this. Can I bring up Backup and replace everything that is listed with "C:\" and "D:\" ?

Thought please.

Murf Oscar

Reaction score
PS In looking through the C:\Users\ directory structure in addition to the subdirectory with my user name there was at the same lever the subdirectory "Private". In the former was a My Documents folder with Word files, while there were more Word documents in "Private".

I just "save as" the files. Can someone please explain how Word decides whether they are public of private?

Murf Oscar

Ask a Question