Battery meter on laptop may not be reading right after last up date

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
My battery meter nay not be working right after last up date. Today battery went from 51% to 10 % with on minutes. Just seeing if others are having problems. Before I take my computer in for service. This reading has appeared two times before.
It maybe the battery which is 11 moths old or a software issue. If you can help it would be appreciated.

Reaction score
A little more info may be needed.
What kind of laptop are we talking about?
What version of Windows are you running??
Have you tried a different battery yet?

I have had a similar problem with one of my laptops. As it turned out, the battery was not working properly anymore (it was already three years old ), so I purchased a replacement. However, I took the battery apart and now use those batteries for my flashlights. It seems the the control electronic in the battery compartment was faulty and gave the wrong information to the laptop....

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
its a Dell laptop Inspiron 7586 running current version . Windows 10 home version 1903 / build 18362.418. Tomorrow taking to service center where it is warranted to have battery which is less then a year old looked at and have software inspected. I thought if it appeared to be needing a driver up date on meter I could do that. Also wanted to know if a up dated may have caused a problem that no one else is reporting. Thank you for your response.

Reaction score
Under the circumstances, guarantee and all, I would wait until the service centre has tried a battery replacement. That does sound the most likely.
It would only be in the most extreme circumstances that an update could cause such a problem.

Ask a Question