Being able to pin programs to taskbar and opening multiple copies

Reaction score
It seems easy enough to pin, say, Firefox to the taskbar simply by right clicking it and choosing “pin to taskbar.” Then if I click Firefox on the taskbar, Firefox opens up. But I often need to open multiple Firedfox copies throughout a work session, and I’d like to do it without reverse clicking firefox on the task bar or going to desktop.

I know there is a way to do this because I did it on my old Win 10 machine, but I forgot how to do it. I remember the solution involved choosing from a small, odd set of icons.

Reaction score
Right click the Firefox icon on the taskbar and, in the drop out menu, you will see another instance which you can, again, click to open anther copy. There may be a limit, but i have sometimes found for my own purpose, that I can open four without problems

Reaction score
On my old windows 10 machine, the taskbar looked like this: See attached Picture

Please note the 5 strange looking icons on the taskbar to the right of the Task View. Note also, please, that they are repeated on the desktop as LiWr, Irfan, Exp, Chrome and GaryStrt.

LiWr stands for Libreoffice Writer, and when I left-click (NOT right click!) on the same icon in the taskbar, a new empty Libreoffice Writer page pops up on my desktop, which I can fill in as I please. If I need a second copy of Libreoffice Writer, I can again left-click on the icon and a second copy pops up, independent of the 1st.

In this manner, I can simultaneously open as many independent copies of Libreoffice Writer as I need.

As you can see, I’ve done this before, but I forgot the method. The notable thing was that I was limited in my choice of ICON

Does anyone know how to make this happen?

Attachments

• DeskTopPix.jpg
    DeskTopPix.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 13

Ask a Question