Best desktop power consumption estimate

Reaction score
Dear users,
in your experience, what is the best way or tool to estimate the power consumption per minute of a desktop computer, running W10?
I have been asked to reduce the power consumption of a school desktop that used to run 24/7.

So I have to calculate the annual power savings by putting it off in the evening and on in the morning.
Thank you very much for your invaluable support.

Reaction score
There are plugin gadgets that will do this. Just plug the PC into one and the gadget will collect the info ove 24 hours or more. use one of those and plug it into the wall and then all the parts of the PC into and extension to capture everything.

Or Find the PSU power consumption...somewhere on the PC case or on the PSU. Look on the back of the monitor, power should be there. Printer the same. Add up all the active hours. If there are external disks or speakers add up the power there as well.

That will give the base numbers .

How to reduce. Maybe a more modern monitor will save a little. Printers turned off when not in use as well.

Reaction score
There must be something that measures the power the CPU and GPU use somewhere. I have never seen one. BUT a $15 power monitor plugged into the wall and then feeding the power bar should give a good answer.. even with that I am not sure how you could reduce the power used.

Reaction score
If you have an UPS by Schneider they have a program that controls the UPS and will report power usage of everythingg powered through the UPS

Reaction score
One way to cut power is to reduce the power drawn by the computer. The components use the power , not windows 10 itself.
You can get a cheap plugin device that will record the draw you have and you can work it out from there. But you might find someone running win 10 on another machine and drawing more power or less power. I have created 204lbs of carbon requiring 83 trees to absorb or a little patch of algae

Ask a Question