SOLVED Between PCI-E WiFi Adapter Card & USB Wireless Network Adapters, which one is better/stable ?

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I need an advice about my network adapter.

I plan to add wireless networking adapter to my computer. Currently, I use LAN wired to connect internet from my router.

I checked my motherboard (MSI B460M-A PRO) has 2 PCI-E X1 slots, but due to the position of PCI-E X1 is very close to PCI-E X16 (Graphics card slot) & it has been blocked by the graphics card , so only one can be used..

000B.png

I plan to buy something like Archer-Tx50e (for PCI-E Wireless) & a MU-MIMO type usb adpater like Archer T4U (For USB Wireless)

The distance between my router and my pc is around 17ft & blocked by some walls and furniture.

RL.png

For situation as above, which one is more suitable for me? PCI-E WiFi Adapter Card or USB Wireless Network Adapters?
Moreover, I didn't know if the space left enough or can fit the PCI-E WiFi Adapter. Base on what I see ( image above), look like too cramped & didn't align properly with my casing expansion slot or maybe it just my eye

Reaction score
The main issue I have with Wireless/Wi-Fi is assuring the Router and all Wireless adapters are 802.11n or 802.11ac, maybe the latest 802.11ax [haven't seen that yet]. I have 2 Notebooks with the 802.11ac that once in awhile lose contact with my 802.11n Router, probably should upgrade soon.

Can't speak to the PCIe X1 card, got an ASUS Desktop that had the Wireless card but had to remove it in favor of additional USB 3 ports on a card.

Reaction score
Between PCI-E & USB adapter, I decided to use the Archer-Tx50e PCI-E, as it has Wi-Fi + Bluetooth and for freeing up the USB slots for other items. Usually I use cable via router bridge (Archer C1200) & only use the Wi-Fi in case of emergency (Exp; if cable does not work). Surprise me that the Archer-Tx50e PCI-E does fit perfectly on my motherboard PCI-E slot even thought it look cramped at first but actually not (refer image on 1st Post).

Previously, I used the cable with the Desktop Switch TL-SG1005D & a laptop but problem is desktop Switch only to connecting wired device to each other via cable and have no Wi-Fi or Bluetooth built in.

Moreover, currently changing a Laptop to Desktop, before this I don't need to worried about Wi-Fi/Bluetooth because it already built in in my laptop but not for Desktop where you have to find Motherboard that came with Wi-Fi/Bluetooth or you have to buy separately Wi-Fi/Bluetooth adapter/card.

In my case, I did not notice that my motherboard does not have built in Wi-Fi / Bluetooth)*** & My Wi-Fi signal really weak in my room from the main router. So, that the reasons why I decided to buy buy USB adapter or PCI-E to add Wi-Fi to my desktop.

So far used it for a week everything working well.

** Archer C1200 Ver.1 (EU) new firmware doesn't support Bridge Mode so do many budget & old Tp link router....So, I have to spend 2 Day to make it work properly by watching some video tutorial on Youtube.... The process really complicated (for me maybe not for others) & Thank God I got it right....

*** I'm lazy to buy new motherboard with built-in Wi-Fi/Bluetooth because lazy to plug/unplug all the cable/wired inside the casing, plus you have to reinstall everything to make Windows work properly...very troublesome for me....

Last edited:

Ask a Question