Black screen problem whem logging on

Reaction score
Hello! I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this problem as it's not a blue screen but rather a black screen. Apologies if it isn't. Anyways I have a HP Pavilion desktop computer. The problem that my mom and I are having is that every time we log onto our names to our desktops that nothing comes up and will just be a black screen. The computer starts up just fine when turning it on but then the black screen will come up when logging on our names with our desktops not appearing. We can't do anything to get them to work and show but I'll end up pressing ctrl + atl + delete on the keyboard which then will give the option to log off and bring me back to the start screen with our names to click on. Before this happened the computer would work very slowly and lag with no pages loading properly. They will eventually with us being able to do stuff but then an error will come up which then I could refresh and they will work again.

Here I have provided a video to how this problem is. Here's a link to somewhere I uploaded it as the file was too large to use the upload feature here. https://files.fm/u/3zdd6227

Is there anyway that this can be fixed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Thank you so much. I managed to get the computer into safe mode which then after I restarted and it logged on my name it was working and showing my desktop. However, when I logged off to try my mom's name it didn't work and still showed the black screen. I then put the computer into safe mode yet again under her name which I then repeated what I did for mine in restarting which it logged onto it in it showing her desktop. After that I then tried to log onto my name again so that I can be on it but my name then showed the black screen yet again and didn't show my desktop. It's like only one of our names will work at a time with the other not. Why is this only working to fix just one of our names?

Oh and I also put it in safe mode three more times again under my name but after it restarting afterwards it showed the black screen again. No matter how many times I do this my desktop is not working in it showing it like the first time I did it. I don't understand at all.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Ask a Question