SOLVED Black screen when logging off or switching users- HELP

Reaction score
I have had same issue, what's most interesting is I migrated to a new PC - clean windows 10 insiders build and then logged in the same accounts as I had configured on old PC and the black screen has migrated too.

Going to try the remove third party anti-virus solution (Bullguard) and see if it has any effect.

Reaction score
I concur with DrJagaloon, for me at least removing third party Bullguard AV software seems to have fixed issue - I was also getting occasional green screen after switching users, or reboot to a different account so will monitor that issue.

Windows 10 64 bit Insider v 2014.21301.1010 - so this issue has emerged in most recent builds for me. No previous issues.

Reaction score
I have the same problem, no 3rd party anti virus, Microsoft office and only services supplied in Windows 10 latest update, that's it.
I have tried all the remedies I have found online and in this web to no avail.
Could someone please explain if there is a fix for this problem

Reaction score
I concur with DrJagaloon, for me at least removing third party Bullguard AV software seems to have fixed issue - I was also getting occasional green screen after switching users, or reboot to a different account so will monitor that issue.

An addendum - what it may be worth checking is Windows Task Manager - in my case I have two users who regularly log on. What I noticed in the user's tab of task manager was that the second user was consuming resources even after a machine re-boot, when they hadn't even logged on. I right clicked the user and disconnected them - resources freed up and when I reboot, they no longer appear in the list.

My suspicion is that I ran the insider update when the other user was logged in and we had used the switch user capability, and it had somehow retained the settings so auto started the other user even after a reboot.

I also suspect that it was running AV, Search indexing and other processes that were very resource intensive so whilst removing Bullguard fixed the problem - it may simply have been masking the real issue, as neither problem has resurfaced since I disconnected the user.

This may help someone else so thought I would update just in case.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question