Black screen with cursor after 5 minutes of running fine

Reaction score
I just installed 10 and everything installed properly. My apps work fine. My problem is five minutes after everything loads and the Desktop is populated I get the black screen and cursor. If I am working in a app l.e. Mail, the app stays up but the desktop, task bar etc. and everything else goes into black screen. if I close the app then I have nothing. Any one have a suggestion.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello John and welcome to the forum.
Sounds a bit like explorer.exe is crashing.
When you are left with only the black screen and cursor.....
Can you use Ctrl + Alt + Delete to produce an alternate screen with options that include Task Manager?
If so choose task manager and use the menu bar at the top to select File -> Run new task
Type
explorer.exe
hit enter or click OK
Do you get your desktop back?

Reaction score
I tried that before and I just tried it again, nothing. Just a fyi my apps stay open and I can launch a web site from a email but i still don't have my desktop or task bar

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try using the native System File Checker and see if that shows any system file integrity violations.
Right click the Start Button and choose Command Prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt window type.....
sfc /scannow
hit enter
let it run see what it turns up.

Reaction score
Try using the native System File Checker and see if that shows any system file integrity violations.
Right click the Start Button and choose Command Prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt window type.....
sfc /scannow
hit enter
let it run see what it turns up.
Thanks for your reply. Got iYogi help desk working with me. Tried a bunch of stuff. Nothing worked. Went back to Windows 7

Ask a Question