SOLVED black screen with cursor

Reaction score
Hello ,
I have installed windows 10 on my computer a month ago and it worked well , but now i have a problem : the pc load , windows 10 logo appears then black screen and the cursor appears ... I havn't changed anything in my configuration nor installed any new software and no upgrade ... I really don't know what to do , can someone help me ?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you use the Ctrl + Alt + Delete key combination to evoke the Task Manager?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Was just reading a couple interesting posts on the Windows 10 Community Forum.
Take a look at this thread and read the post by Drevikdrevik
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...fter-the/5a0674e1-7384-475d-ab54-c18e0b1270f9
Third one down near the bottom of the page..
Seems to have something to do with Windows 10 thinking you have two monitors when you only have one, or three monitors when you only have two......

Reaction score
Tried to scroll to the 'second non-existant screen' with my mouse and my monitor seems to have proper borders or size. I don't have another external monitor i can plug in . Maybe it's another problem ? Is there a way to enter the safe mode with no session screen and nothing else than boot?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is there a way to enter the safe mode with no session screen and nothing else than boot?
Yes there is, but you actually have to configure it to get it to work properly.

Boot into the Windows 10 Recovery Environment either by using a Recovery Disk that you've made, or the original Installation Media.
Choose Repair, Advanced Troubleshooting, Command Prompt and type
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
reboot your PC and tap the F8 key (no shift key required) and it should work for you as it has in the past.

to return your boot menu to normal
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

Reaction score
The original instalation media was windows itself (via the get windows 10), i didn't make any recovery disk so maybe i am blocked ... But thanks for the information .

Reaction score
Yes there is, but you actually have to configure it to get it to work properly.

Boot into the Windows 10 Recovery Environment either by using a Recovery Disk that you've made, or the original Installation Media.
Choose Repair, Advanced Troubleshooting, Command Prompt and type
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
reboot your PC and tap the F8 key (no shift key required) and it should work for you as it has in the past.

to return your boot menu to normal
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

When I go to the commmand prompt and type the command , the cmd replies an impossibility to access the data-bank start up configuration (maybe another name in english sorry) . I saw this error arrives when the cmd is not in administrator mode but I can't find how to make it only with the repair section of bootable windows iso .

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When I go to the commmand prompt and type the command , the cmd replies an impossibility to access the data-bank start up configuration (maybe another name in english sorry) . I saw this error arrives when the cmd is not in administrator mode but I can't find how to make it only with the repair section of bootable windows iso .
That probably indicates a more serious problem with your install.
There is no need for an elevated command prompt outside the OS, I've used that technique and that command on several occasions and it has always worked, so there is likely another problem involved.

Perhaps try one of the other advanced troubleshooting options available when you boot from the installation media.
Try a system restore
Try a startup repair
Try a reset....... WARNING: Resetting your computer may result in data loss, make sure any and all critical data is backed up in advance of perform a Reset.

Reaction score
I cannot reset because " the disk where windows is installed is locked" ... Does my HDD bugged or broken ? (it can't found my restore points to)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have installed windows 10 on my computer a month ago and it worked well
At any point in time during that month did you perform a disk image backup of your drive, or at least backup all your critical data.
Does the computer have a factory partition from which you can recover the system to a factory state. Many computer manufacturer's include this feature / option when the computer goes out the door.
I assume that you also tried a Startup Repair also?

I'm very sorry, but at this point I do not see a lot of options.
If it was mine and I was stuck where you are now, I would backup my data (no I wouldn't because I would already have a backup and a disk image) and then I would boot from the installation media.
Press Shift F10 at the language screen and use Diskpart to clean the drive and then perform a clean custom install.
If your computer has been running Windows 10 for a month then performing a clean install should not be a problem.
Just make sure you do not make any attempt to enter a product key during the install choose "skip" and or "do this later" each time you are prompted.

Does my HDD bugged or broken ?
I have no way of knowing. Do you have any reason to suspect that the drive itself may either be failing or faulty? Was the computer exhibiting any symptoms prior to your performing the upgrade?
Can you remove it, attach it to another system and then run chkdsk against it to see?

EDIT: One last thing you might try. Reboot your system and use whatever key combination will get you into the System Setup Utility (BIOS).
Change your disk controller mode from RAID to SATA AHCI or SATA IDE or NATIVE IDE and see if that makes any difference.

Reaction score
I changed the disk controller mode to SATA IDE and reboot , windows crashed .
Rechanged to SATA AHCI , reboot and windows work ...
Really thanks for your help ! =)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you managed to resolve your issue and thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.
Now you may want to take some time and get a good backup of your critical data, as well as a Disk Image.
It always helps to know that your data is safe and that you have a good fall back position in the form of a Disk Image.
You can afford to be just a tiny bit more bold in the diagnostic process.

Ask a Question