Black Screen?

Reaction score
Hi

Trying to help an 85 year old relative here.. mostly done remotely via TeamViewer... hoping to get to see it 'fact to face' over the weekend....

Desktop supplied as Win 8 and upgraded to 8.1 with Classic Sheel installed

The upgraded to Win 10 and kept Classic Shell for familiarity

Mostly been working fine..

Around Christmas... after what I believe was an update it 'appeared' to me that the machine went into Tablet mode and I couldnt get it back to desktop (Win+A)

I was restricted to assisting via TeamViewer and the chap is elderly... so all I could do at the time was do a restore back prior to the update.

All fine

A few days a ago the same thing happened... and I believe just after an update... so machine looks like it is tablet mode...again I am viewing via TeamViewer

Couldnt get any responsive from the Start button (Classic Shell) .. restarted a few timed...

Decided to remove Classic Shell.....

Did a restart... Windows Home Screen and login window showing... but once logged in only Black Screen and only cursor showing...

Got up Task Manager up and tried Run explorerer.exe as suggested on the net elsewhere... nothing

Tried to get into Troublle Shoot via Shift + Power icon / Restart but just went back into Windows Home screen/Login Screen

Machine has been working pretty well in Win 10 up to now...

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Thanks

andrew peters (UK)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If you can get back into it, try forcing a Safe Mode with networking boot to see if the machine will bring up a desktop in Safe Mode with Networking.
Get back to task manager and launch msconfig by clicking the file menu "Run new task" and typing
msconfig
hit enter or click OK
select the Boot tab and check the Safe boot box and tick the Network radio button click OK and reboot the machine.
Easily done and easily undone by just going back to msconfig through task manager and unchecking the safe boot check box.
That should help to determine if it is a driver (likely a GPU driver) causing the problem.
IF so then use DDU in safe mode to uninstall the video driver and boot the machine normally and see if that helps.
http://www.wagnardmobile.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=164&sid=5c34ba8a1528712f89854744caba05f6
The default settings are usually sufficient to remove the display driver and stop Windows updates from immediately installing a less than optimal driver before you can download and install the proper one.

Reaction score
Great thanks for the input.. will be able to try this on saturday when I drive over to see it...

Will being updating this thread..

Thanks again...

Reaction score
Brought the PC home today and followed instructions to boot in safe mode... and it didn't... it just returned to the black screen...

But .. In Task Manager>File when I choose Browse I can get into Windows>System 32 and can the window for This PC / Desktop/Documents and so on...

Its just like the desktop has vanished?

Cant do a restore as it states files are corrupt....

Not going to waste anymore time on this.. so I have downloaded Win 8.1 and will just load that back into it...

Thanks for your help

Andrew Peters (UK)

Ask a Question