Blank screen upon resume from sleep or hibernate

Reaction score
Hi all,

I upgraded from Windows 7 "Starter Edition" (32-bit) on an ASUS Eee PC 1005PE (2GB RAM) to Windows 10 32-bit. This mostly seemed to work, however I can no longer resume from either sleep or hibernate. In either case, I get a blank screen. The other problem I notice is that the task bar separator (with a scroll bar type widget) between the active tasks and the notification icons seems to disappear and the active task icons seem to get mistakenly hidden from view. This is a minor annoyance and something I can live with, simply by switching periodically to the "Task View". But I would really like some help with resolving the wakeup from sleep problem. So far I have tried updating the video adapter driver (which was already "up to date"), and I checked that I have the latest BIOS firmware. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Curt

Reaction score
Hi all,

I upgraded from Windows 7 "Starter Edition" (32-bit) on an ASUS Eee PC 1005PE (2GB RAM) to Windows 10 32-bit. This mostly seemed to work, however I can no longer resume from either sleep or hibernate. In either case, I get a blank screen. The other problem I notice is that the task bar separator (with a scroll bar type widget) between the active tasks and the notification icons seems to disappear and the active task icons seem to get mistakenly hidden from view. This is a minor annoyance and something I can live with, simply by switching periodically to the "Task View". But I would really like some help with resolving the wakeup from sleep problem. So far I have tried updating the video adapter driver (which was already "up to date"), and I checked that I have the latest BIOS firmware. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Curt

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks, Curt
I think I have the same or similar behavior.
On resuming from hibernation the screen is blank, but if I move the mouse or touch the keyboard, the screen wakes (right away) up and all is well. I tried waking the machine from hibernation using the power button and this problem did NOT occur; only when a scheduled task wakes the machine.
Interesting

Reaction score
I think I have found a 'workaround' answer to "Sleep" but it won't damned well "Wake up" problem.

This may not work on all PCs, and I haven't tried it on a laptop, but on my PC if I put it to sleep, whether by the [Start} menu, or by pressing the power button, I do the following to bring it back to life: -

Press the power button, and immediately after, press the "Hard reset" button. The PC bleeps as though it is about to go through a full "Restart", shows all the CMOS data that you get on a first bootup but, and this is the good bit, it skips the pretty view of the beach from inside the cave, and skips the logon window, going straight to the window as you left it when you put it to sleep. All minimised programs are on the task bar, and any program you had fully open reappears exactly as you left it, just as it would have done on a proper "Sleep/Awake" task perform under Win 7. I've tried this with a "Word" document open, a CAD design open, and it works every time. Not a proper 'solution' I know, but it will do until Microsoft get their act together and sort the "Sleep/Awake" problem.

I would be interested, though, if anyone can define the difference between "Sleep" and "Hibernate"

If it helps, my Power options settings are, with a "Balanced" power plan, as follows: -

upload_2016-2-21_12-42-52-png.2443

and, for reference, my bootup time from scratch, including entering my password, is a smidgeon under 2 minutes, depending on how fast I type the password. It is possible, of course, that my SSD may be a contributory factor to this. I regard the SSD as the best upgrade I've ever done to a PC in 30 years of using one!

Hope the info helps,

Tony N

Ask a Question