Blocking Telemetry

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
What do you (anybody) use to block windows telemetry data gathering? Does anybody recommended any software for this? What software does anybody use personally if any?

Reaction score
That is what I use as well Jimbo not only on my own system but those I build, plus some added manual teaks.

Reaction score
O&O ShutUp 10. Have they updated Anti Beacon since the Creators Update?

Reaction score
I believe it has then. It was on 1.5 when the Creators Update went live. The reason I asked is apparently it wasn't blocking all the telemetry after the update. Microsoft changed a few things in the way it uploaded telemetry. The only reason I changed to O&O ShutUp 10 is they had a fix early on.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I found that; with using Anti-Beacon, that my Skype home page has become unavailable every time I open it. Not a big deal but took me some doing doing to track the cause of it.

As for the MS Privacy settings: I already do that..... So to verify this I will uninstall Anti-Beacon and see what is what.

Reaction score
Some arguments about not using tools to block Windows spy network here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/273513/why-you-shouldnt-use-anti-spying-tools-for-windows-10/ :)

O&O ShutUp 10 gives recommendations and consequences to each item you choose to block. Yes, all those things can happen (I'd argue only 2 are real issues). I would recommend anyone trying to block telemetry to educate themselves first.

I personally don't want Microsoft making boatloads of cash with my personal data. Especially since I'm not getting a cut. I'd be more than happy to pay for the OS.

Reaction score
I would recommend anyone trying to block telemetry to educate themselves first.
HI BigFeet,

the problem there is what is real and what isn't?, how do people really know what MS have going on in the background?. They are all at it, Google, Amazon, eBay etc, everyone wants to know what our habits are so they can target advertising our way so they can all make money one way or another!. :)

Reaction score
HI BigFeet,

the problem there is what is real and what isn't?, how do people really know what MS have going on in the background?. They are all at it, Google, Amazon, eBay etc, everyone wants to know what our habits are so they can target advertising our way so they can all make money one way or another!. :)
I agree they all do it. What's disturbing is the length that microsoft is going to collect the data, and exactly what data they are collecting.

Here's a couple interesting videos if you have time.

Reaction score
I have recently become a big YouTube fan and have already seen those vids but thanks for posting for those that haven't seen them!. :)

I noticed that even under Linux your are not free from snooping when browsing the web, this I suppose is the price for using free software?. :confused:

Reaction score
I noticed that even under Linux your are not free from snooping when browsing the web, this I suppose is the price for using free software?. :confused:
You're certainly right. Even though Linux is pretty rock solid, pretty much no matter what browser you use, search engine, etc., there's someone/something collecting data.

Reaction score
WindowsSpyBlocker can be used for this purpose. It has a great set of rules (spy, update and extra) in many format (OpenWRT, DNSCrypt, P2P, Proxifier...) and is updated frequently.

Ask a Question