Broadband Internet For Only A Day

Reaction score
I have two computers with the same issue, one Dell Inspiron wired ethernet and one HP 2000 Notebook on wi-fi connected to the same router. After the update, the Dell from windows 7 and the HP from 8.1, internet connections on both worked but only for about a day. Then they both show "Your broadband modem is experiencing connectivity issues" from the Internet Connections troubleshooter. I have had no connection issues with any other computers or tablets not running Windows 10 either on ethernet or wi-fi, and the two running 10 have different processors and network adapters. I have to believe the only thing causing the problem is Windows 10 or one of the updates. Attached is the IP configuration from the Dell.

Attachments

• ipconfig.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 630

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Assuming you don't have any third party VPN software installed (which seems to be a source of some issue with these types of problems).....
Try setting your DNS settings manually as a test use
8.8.8.8 preferred
AND
8.8.4.4 alternate
See if that has any impact

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Assuming you don't have any third party VPN software installed (which seems to be a source of some issue with these types of problems).....
Try setting your DNS settings manually as a test use
8.8.8.8 preferred
AND
8.8.4.4 alternate
See if that has any impact

Tried both the PC and the router (not at the same time) and no impact.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
for the device that has the Broadcom Ethernet adapter installed, that you posted the ipconfig details about above.
download and install the driver from here https://www.broadcom.com/support/?gid=12
one of the top two selection in the driver list depending on your system architecture 32 or 64 bit.

Reaction score
for the device that has the Broadcom Ethernet adapter installed, that you posted the ipconfig details about above.
download and install the driver from here https://www.broadcom.com/support/?gid=12
one of the top two selection in the driver list depending on your system architecture 32 or 64 bit.

Thank you for that excellent suggestion. It loaded with no problem but didn't fix the issue.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
And you rebooted after applying the driver?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
And you have no VPN (cisco or other) software installed?
How about just going into device manager
Uninstall it
Reboot computer and see what shakes out.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I was just reading another thread on this forum where the member was having a very similar problem and he mentioned that the solution that worked for him was to go to the PC Manufacturer's website, in his case I think HP, but in yours perhaps Dell. He downloaded and installed an older version of the driver from there.
He said that worked for him. Certainly worth a try.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There is a program here http://www.rizonesoft.com/software/complete-internet-repair/
Called Complete Internet Repair. It's free and contains both a 32 and 64 bit version.
I've used it on occasion with varied degrees of success.
I just tested it on my Windows 10 machine and it seemed to complete fine and didn't cause any issue.... no smoke no fire.

It may help in your case, it may not. No guarantees, but......
It probably won't make matters worse and it may even help correct some of the changes you've made.

Reaction score
I have reset the HP laptop and so all the apps that I had loaded went away, but Windows 10 now connects with the internet as it did when I first upgraded from 8.1. I shall attempt to reinstall apps slowly and methodically and also watch the automatic updates so that I might (if lucky) pin down the source of my connectivity problem. In the mean time I am leaving the Dell desktop alone, but when I get frustrated enough I'll probably back out the upgrade and go back to Windows 7 because there are many many apps there and I don't feel like reloading all of them. I do not think this thread will be marked solved until a specific cause for the issue is found. Mean time I really appreciate the efforts made by Trouble to help me. Thanks.

Reaction score
After a couple of months of functional connectivity over WiFi I plugged a wired ethernet into my HP laptop which worked fine, but when I unplugged it the WiFi connection no longer worked. When I tried a manual connection the PC just hung up and diagnostics could not find the issue. Hovering over the WiFi icon displayed "connections available" but I couldn't find any more info. Why would a wired connection that works kill the WiFi connection?

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
You did shut down wifi first I hope and made sure it was switched off on your laptop.
Also did your wifi connection show up when you hovered over it.
Have you tried with any of the other connections that show to see if you can log into them.
Try rebooting your router failing that uninstall your wifi on your laptop and re putting it back in again, why I am saying the last bit is because my neighbour had same problem and he came to me tried everything in the end had to reinstall his wifi.

Ask a Question