Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet

Reaction score
I've been trying to use Windows 10 for a long time, but there seems to be an inherent problem with the subject driver on my ACER Laptop. Plenty of threads around the internet, but no solutions that I've found. The driver, and all subsequent fixes, runs for 10-15 minutes and then stops.

Does anyone know of a solution? I prefer not to limit my bandwidth using wireless, so I'm hoping to fix this or be stuck on Windows 7 forever. I do like Windows 7, but at some point support will go away...

Thank you!

Reaction score
Hi Stacman,

you could try:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System\Device Manager

and right click your device and point it towards your W7 drivers (right click and Update driver) and install those drivers?. :D

device manager.JPG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello @Stacman and welcome to the forum.
You would not be the first person to find that Windows 10 has installed a less than optimal driver for a particular hardware device in your laptop.
You might find it necessary to go to Acer's support site https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers
AND download their driver for your particular problem device (the latest version they have available)
Use device manager to uninstall the device and if prompted choose to uninstall drivers as part of the process.
Then, install the driver you downloaded from Acer for that device.
You may find that Windows Update will re-install the other driver again, in which case you may need to take steps to prevent that from happening.
Windows Update Show Hide utility http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab
Can serve as a temporary solution.

NOTE: If you are not running the latest version of Windows 10
Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.250)
You may want to consider upgrading to the latest version.
It might help. Or it might not.

Reaction score
Thank you Wolfie and Trouble for the responses. I've tried both the Windows 7 and newer 10 drivers, but neither lasted for more than 10-15 minutes. I have not however uninstalled the device and drivers before updating the drivers, so I'll give that a try. I had set out to purposely resist upgrading to Windows 10 from 7 to give time for the Microsoft bugs to be worked out, but I think I've waited long enough. The strange thing is that I had already installed Windows 10 on a spare drive to run from USB on the same laptop, and the drivers work fine on that, but when I install directly on the laptop they're messed up.

Thanks again for the tips, and I'll provide feedback if it's corrected so others might benefit...

Reaction score
As it turns out, of the gazillion laptops ACER markets, they won't support my E1 571 for a Windows 10 upgrade. Since the Broadcom Gigabit is the only issue, I've decided I can always use a RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter Converter if I want to switch to Windows 10, or just use wireless, which works fine...

Reaction score
I have, and the driver they had for my specific hardware didn't work, nor did it for countless others...

Reaction score
Did you check your version of W10 and update per @Trouble's suggestion?.

Click on "Update now" if you haven't already done so:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 :)

That'll be my next step. I've already ordered an adapter for USB, so I'll try that also. I'll probably upgrade to a newer version also, although I don't expect anything different going that route, whether it's neglect on Microsoft, Acer, or Broadcom to provide a better driver...

Ask a Question