BSOD's after downloading fall creators update v1709

Reaction score
yesterday I downloaded the new fall creators update and everything seemed ok so far so today I logged in and went to
"change how we free up space" and checked the tick box for "delete previous versions of windows and then clicked "clean now"

It started the process of cleaning and about half way through I got a BSOD. My pc restarted automatically and upon restart I got another BSOD and then another. BTW my pc is 100% stable.

Can you test on your end and see if the delete previous versions of windows causes BSOD? and why would this happen?

Reaction score
Hope you have an Image to restore too, so far I haven't been able to get to my desktop after the FCU upgrade, So I can't test this for you. I haven't heard of this issue on any of the other forums. Maybe you should just leave the windows.old folder for a few days it will delete itself after a couple of weeks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Can you test on your end and see if the delete previous versions of windows causes BSOD?
Nope. Just tested

Capture.PNG

Didn't get a Blue Screen during the process.
Performed a cold boot and didn't get a Blue Screen then either.
I suspect that it is likely something else entirely. Maybe try booting to Safe Mode and then Safe Mode with Networking and see if the system boots.

Reaction score
Did you have the Storage Sense enabled when you manually deleted the folder?

I have seen more than one situation where the entire Windows.old folder could not be deleted by the system. It took some permission changes on a few files/folders to make it happen. So, is the Windows.old folder gone?

Do you believe the upgrade was complete since a cumulative update followed shortly after the initial upgrade.

Reaction score
I have just started getting GSOD & BSOD same error after latest upgrade to Windows Insider 17017.rs prerelease weird I was on Slow Release!. It is the volsnap.sys error a lot of people are having.

I have a WIn 10 Pro 64bit USB Recovery but it is about 12 months old.
I also have access to a laptop same version of Windows 10 Pro 64bit.

I have 2 issues I do not have windows.old to get files from on the affected PC. I removed it as it was running fine and needed the space (i know stupid) but never had an issue with a slow release before.

I have seen a few reports on how to fix it by copying the volsnap.sys from the old windows directory but I do not have one:(

So I thought I would get a copy from my laptop but then see it comes from the driver folder in windows and my laptop drivers are different to my main desktop.

But I do not want to do a new install I want to keep all my apps folders and settings if possible any suggestions, please.

Desperate Dale

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply. I have since not had any more BSOD's and everything appears to be running ok, not sure why I am unable to use the clean now feature.
Yes I had storage sense enabled when I attempted to "clean" and the windows old folder is still there but says that it is empty. Also I made sure that the updates were complete before attempting to clean.

Reaction score
Try using the built in tool: scroll down the start menu to the Windows Administrative Tools. Inside that folder is the Disk clean-up tool .When you use this tool, there are a couple of options. Down on the left, there is "clean up system files". This will normally get rid of the windows.old folder.
A better way is to right click the tool, select "more" and run as administrator. This, again, should get rid of the Windows.old folder and, generally, does a more thorough job.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, just now tried it both ways followed your insructions to a tee. Although it did finish cleaning up a couple of remaining gb of data the windos.old folder is still there and still reads 0 bytes

Reaction score
Ccleaner will do it, but try the attached. you run the reg and say yest to the questions. Then, if you right click the Windows.old folder, you will see a new option to "Take Ownership." Do that and see if you can, then, delete the folder.

Attachments

• Add Take Ownership Option.reg
    1.4 KB · Views: 533

Ask a Question