Build 10074

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I thought that might get at least a grin out of a few folks.
It is nice I have to admit

Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt Trouble. Downloaded and installed without any apparent issues. Looks like everything is working.

Reaction score
Egads Clifford. Are you on dialup? I was downloaded and installed in 20 minutes or so.

Reaction score
Crappy ISP, supposed to have 10M down and 1M up. I downloaded a Steam game the other night (several infact) twice this size in one hour. I'm not sure why it is slow tonight, always inconsistent on the rates.

Reaction score
I'm on a really fast fiber optic ISP and the update download was really slow and was only at 22% after 30 minutes. I stopped it and decided to download the ISO. It's 3.5GB and the Firefox download estimate was showing 2 hours. Microsoft server must be really jammed up tonight.

Reaction score
"I've been downloading for 2 hours, 3 more hours to go. "

That is a surprise for me too! I have an appalling connection (2mb/s download) but for some reason, this particular update took, for me, an outstanding 1h 40 minutes only.
I had some difficulties with a fresh install (ISO made from ESD), as it could not find my network adapters. A few restarts and an overnight rest seemed to have solved the problem. I was completely cut off from settings, and I am guessing the reason for the problem was it was automatically downloading and installing the update mentioned by Trouble

So far, for the functions I use, I cannot see any outstanding changes from the previous build, but still investigating.

P.S. Agreed, Trouble. When I attempted to access "People", I got a lockout on a couple of other features. I needed to log out and in again. I am also having a problem getting the weather App to default to my location, but I have had this problem on earlier versions, and it seems to take a while, and a couple or so reboots.

Reaction score
I paused the download at about 60%, as it was only downloading at 80KB/s. I have a much better rate this morning and will finish in less than 30 minutes.

It had to be ISP congestion last night, knocking my rates off the bottom of the scale,

Reaction score
Do this build corrects all (or most at least) of the faults and bugs of the build 10061? May be this build will allow me to use the computer.

Reaction score
I have to confess, Clifford, that, in spite of earlier criticism of the Windows 10 project, after you have sorted out a few personal dislikes, this build is looking good. For me, 100% stable and no apparent malfunctions.

Reaction score
Build 10074 is working well enough for me that I've loaded it up on my main computer (used an empty SSD so I can return to 8.1 easily). I'm not encountering any issues at the moment and everything I use is functioning.

Reaction score
There is only one thing that really has annoyed me. Thats the fact that the Start Menu keeps popping up to forground during installation of applications. Having to take the time to make the Start Menu go away during installation, when you didn't call it up gets old quick. It stays on top so you can't temporarily ignore it either.

I did notice the loss of the Start Menu again in this build (10074). But I was able to get it back somehow. I don't know if it was a reboot this time that cleared it up or the removal of Nero Burnlite 10 that did it. I do know that first installing Nero 10 had to be done in administration mode, and then reinstall was capable in standard mode. After reinstall of Nero 10 Burnlite the Start Menu still works, so I'm not certain what broke it to begin with.

There is only one thing left that I am asking for, transparency effects in window frames. I think I can ignore the ugly squares in the Start Menu, and wait for MS to change them in a new OS down the line.

It's funny though as I must have clicked the Minimize/Maximize arrows on the Start Menu 3 dozen times, trying to calapse the menu during app installs.

Reaction score
I just now installed a program for updating my radar detector data and the start menu did not appear at all and I've had no problems with the start menu since installing 10074.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
the start menu did not appear at all
Are you saying that, after installing this program that your start menu no longer functions properly, or....
The program does not show up on the start menu?
I've had no issue with the current build's start menu applet, however I'm running a pretty plain jane setup as far as installed applications.

Reaction score
Mine is pretty much on defaults. I have tested my usual programs on previous builds, and all were working, so I am assuming this will be the picture, and I am not wasting time reinstalling on successive builds. (fingers crossed)

Ask a Question