SOLVED Can't upgrade from build 10074

Reaction score
Hi everyone!,

I need help on upgrading my current build to the latest one. I've tried windows updates but it doesn't show me that a new build is ever available. The only update that I could not install was Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.201.2184.0) - Error 0x80070643. Could this have something to do with this? Troubleshooting windows update didn't work for me either. I tried refreshing my PC and rolling back to my previous build and update from there, but it says that there are no other builds to go back to. Thanks in advance for the help!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Been hearing several of these types of issues lately and I honestly have, no idea what is causing it.
Technically I believe you should be able to update any previously activated build to the current build 10240.
Make sure that you have a "Microsoft Account" associated with the install, make sure your account is "verified", make sure your geographical region, date and time are set correctly and make sure in any older build that you are set to Fast Ring, although the latest build went out to Slow and Fast simultaneously.

Reaction score
Hi!,

How can I verify my account? I checked on the accounts page under settings and my account came up. Is that it? My region, date and time are correct and I have already set my PC to fast. What is fast ring?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
How can I verify my account? I checked on the accounts page under settings and my account came up. Is that it?
Yep.... that's it. If it needed verifying you'd see a link there.
What is fast ring?
Nevermind, you've got it. A term that apparently is obsolete now.
Is the install "activated". Settings, Update & Security, Activation..... "Windows is activated"???

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Activation.JPG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have no idea why you're not able to get windows update to download the latest build.
What I would suggest is to obtain the ISO from any of the number of findable resources out there on the internet. Google and do you best to find a reliable source.
Then mount that ISO and run setup.exe from within your current build from the mounted / emulated optical drives and perform the upgrade in place.

Ask a Question