Build 10074

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
This time I performed a clean install with the ISO that Microsoft provided and went about re-installing my usual applications, which aren't all that many, but I've yet to experience any issues with the newest Start Menu to date.

AllApps.png StartMenu.png

Reaction score
Are you saying that, after installing this program that your start menu no longer functions properly, or....
The program does not show up on the start menu?
I've had no issue with the current build's start menu applet, however I'm running a pretty plain jane setup as far as installed applications.

Oops. I was referring to Clifford's note that the start menu kept popping up while he was installing an app. My start menu is functioning normally and didn't appear during the program install.

Reaction score
Here's a little oddity I noticed today in Photo Gallery. Imported some pictures this morning from my camera and all 14 had some landscape picture on the thumbnail rather that the picture itself. Double clicking opened the picture normally. Later this afternoon I imported some other pictures I had just taken and 3 had the landscape and two showed the actual picture. I just now reopened Photo Gallery and all the picture thumbnails were showing the water landscape picture instead of the real picture.

Attachments

• photogallery.jpg
    photogallery.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 589
Reaction score
I'm not sure what happened. Whether it be a failing hard drive or improper shutdown, but something happened and Windows 10 failed to boot. After performing a System Reset, the Start Menu is broken.

I can not support Windows 10 if navigation is going to continually break. As much as I want to move forward at launch with this free upgrade MS is giving us. This simple issue is giving me plenty of reason for pause to think and wait.

Reaction score
Windows 10 is sort of strange in that it seems to sometimes fix issues on its own. It has happened before and regards my post above about Photo Gallery it is now functioning correctly and showing picture thumbnails. Windows 10 is operating well enough for me that it's easy to forget that it is still a beta preview and subject to bugs and boo boos. What's happening with your start menu? Wasn't it the previous build that had a problem whereby some programs wouldn't open from it?

Reaction score
What's happening with your start menu? Wasn't it the previous build that had a problem whereby some programs wouldn't open from it?
Yes a previous and the current 10074. But not with loading programs, the menu will not load at all. The Windows Key will not load it either. Initially setup with 10074 the Start Menu was broken and then fixed again. The Start Menu was working until this non-boot issue which forced a Windows Reset to get into Windows. Once again, I'm not sure what caused the boot issue. But the reset should have fixed everything (including not breaking the Start Menu). Upon entering from what is supposed to be a refresh, there is nothing installed and the Start Menu fails to function.

The Start Menu failing in a previous build is why I waited so long for build 10074. I know I'm not the only one with this issue. As for this still being a Beta, SERIOUSLY! It's rumored for a July release date, it is probably as close to polished as it is going to get. I'm definitely not going to hold my breath on this issue being fixed in the final release.

Reaction score
These scenarios always arouse my curiosity. Windows 10, including the start menu is free of issues on my machine and it makes me wonder where the problem lies. Is it a Windows 10 problem or is something else installed on your machine breaking something. Hope you can get it fixed and I wouldn't give up on Windows 10 yet.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
But the reset should have fixed everything
I'm wondering if the reset may have put you pack to pre-Windows Updates. I'm thinking that this build had one immediate update and then a couple other subsequent updates that may address the issues you're experiencing.
Otherwise you may want to try the powershell command as described on this page to see if it fixes the problem.
https://www.techmesto.com/fix-start-menu-broken-windows-10-technical-preview/
And, I'm relatively certain that there are many, many builds in the pipeline that are addressing the still, much needed polish of Windows 10.
Whether we will actually get to see many or any of them as so called "insiders" is another matter all together.

Reaction score
It was a fresh install with very few hour on it at that. But now I'm probably gonna have to do another fresh install to fix this. And then wonder how long it will be before I get the same thing again.

Reaction score
Well this is certainly strange. Was away from the computer for three or four hours today and when I woke it from sleep mode it blue screened with error that boot configuration data is missing or has errors. Couldn't get the machine to boot into Windows so I put in my Build 10074 .iso disk and booted from it. Selected the repair option and was presented with a refresh setup that put everything back to basics and removed all of my programs such as Firefox that I had installed. And, the start menu wouldn't work. No idea at all what happened between the time I left and the computer was running normally and the time I returned and it was broken.

I have the EaseUS Todo backup program installed and in a fit of deja vu or something I did both a system and disk backup this morning to another HDD that I use for backups. Got my Todo emergency boot disk, booted from it and about 45 minutes later I once again have a functional computer with all my programs and settings intact. Zippity Dee Dooda !! For the first time since buying the Todo program I have used it successfully. I've no idea what prompted me to do a backup this morning but I'm certainly glad I did otherwise I'd be sitting here reinstalling and resetting programs. I'm sold on the Todo program and feel I can now recommend it.

Reaction score
I wonder what broke it since there have been no updates since the 15th and I hadn't installed or changed any installed programs. I'm now a firm believer in keeping backups current since everything is just as it was before the error problem. Even my Firefox browser history was kept intact. Sure saved me a whole bunch of reinstall/setup time.

Ask a Question