Build 9926

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I also think I heard someone mention that you must be using U.S. English as the primary language.

Reaction score
I also think I heard someone mention that you must be using U.S. English as the primary language.

That is a misinterpretation of the words English (US).
You can change yours to English (CANADA), Cortana will still work as long as your Country region is United States.

In short, Country region must be US, and primary language must be English in order to use Cortana.

Last edited:
Reaction score

I apologize.
You are absolutely right.
I also need to make sure primary language is English (US).
I have Cortana working now by changing Country region to United States and language to English(United States).

Cortana language and region.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Dipsy,
I just played the Fairway Golf program by Big Fish, worked like a charm. All seems well with my 9926 except in my case, Cortana is a bust. It worked initially, then busted. She keeps telling me very nicely that something is wrong, try again "In a little bit". I guess it's still very true that your mileage may vary.

Strange. I tried this morning to install the Big Fish Game Manager and for whatever reason it installed quickly and with no issues. That's after hanging on the gmActivator.exe file yesterday. As far as I know nothing happened to change anything so I've no idea why the install worked this morning. Still cannot get a game to run though. I have a downloaded game that will go through the download and install (shows 100% install complete) but apparently is unable to complete the activation process so it just sits there. Tried installing a game using a purchased CD and it gets past the permissions and agreements and then nothing happens. Task Manager shows the program as "not responding". I've sent a help request to Big Fish to see if they can offer any suggestions.

Reaction score
So far it looks like everything is working. I need to play around with the Cortana app to see what all it will do but I don't have a mic hooked up so I can't use the voice option. I think I still have one or two of the old mics in a drawer somewhere so I'll look to see if I can get one hooked up. Windows Live Mail and Firefox are both up and running and I just used my Corel Paint Shop program so it too is working. Looks like Microsoft did a good job of getting the update ready to go.

Just noticed. Windows Update is missing from the control panel.

Clicking the search icon in the task bar now brings up the Cortana window with a greeting, top stories, some local news stories from our local paper and also the local weather.

i read this in My Digital Life Forum
jut browse in registry to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX
double-click on IsConvergedUpdateStackEnabled

and change the Value data from 1 to 0
OK
and close the registry , no need to reboot
enable update.png
enable update2.png

Reaction score
Thanks Shukree. I haven't used this work around since I'm OK with update being in the settings menu.

Reaction score
Is build 9926 really slow and a bit wonky? Seems like it's a hit or miss proposition as to whether clicking on an icon or program option will open it quickly, take a looooong time or not do anything at all. When I first opened the store app to look for a solitaire game it took a long time before it was populated with games. I enlarged the window using the small double arrows to drag it a little wider and taller and it would hang for awhile before actually resizing. Clicking on the category option also took a long time to open. Found a Mahjong game I thought I'd try and couldn't find an install button. Finally clicked on the "free" button and nothing happened for a bit and then it looked like it was starting to download. After another wait it suddenly changed to 0MB of 0MB and that was it. No install or anything. Sometimes when I open the start menu it sort of freezes and won't do anything such as clicking on the all apps. All told, this build is noticeably slower then 9879 and seems to have a lot of minor problems.

Edit: Was going to search for the MS Solitaire collection and started to type in the search option of the Store. I'd type one or two letters and it would freeze for a couple minutes and then I could type a couple more letters before it would freeze again. This went on till I was able to type in microsoft solitaire. Eventually it took me to the correct page. I clicked on the free button and a download status bar opened and looked like it was going to download. After awhile it once again disappeared and left a 0.0MB or 0.0MB note. I clicked on Firefox to browse around and didn't close the store app. After about 15 minutes I closed Firefox and the Store app popped up, still open to the MS solitaire app. This time there was a download status bar and it indicated a download of 113,7 MB of 231.3 MB was in progress. It has been frozen at this point for at least 20 or more minutes.

Last edited:

Ask a Question