SOLVED Button cursor problems

Reaction score
I have Toshiba Satelite 2010, 64 bit. No problems until recently the I hover over something with cursor and it opens, deletes or whatever before I even click my button. Very frustrating.

Tapping is turned off. Ive tried differ open folder speeds does not seem to help to go faster or slower.

I thought maybe Synapatics driverse were corrupted, so went to Synaptics page downloaded those two related driverd PS2 and the othe r19_0_1 whatever, and when I go to install it states newer drivers exist. So Im not going to install older drivers over newer ones.

So not sure if corrupted driver file or some other file causes the clicking operation to happen without my clicking. Any ideas?

r6

Reaction score
I have Toshiba Satelite 2010, 64 bit. No problems until recently the I hover over something with cursor and it opens, deletes or whatever before I even click my button. Very frustrating.

Tapping is turned off. Ive tried differ open folder speeds does not seem to help to go faster or slower.

I thought maybe Synapatics driverse were corrupted, so went to Synaptics page downloaded those two related driverd PS2 and the othe r19_0_1 whatever, and when I go to install it states newer drivers exist. So Im not going to install older drivers over newer ones.

So not sure if corrupted driver file or some other file causes the clicking operation to happen without my clicking. Any ideas?

r6

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi and Welcome to the Forum rybo.

It's been a very long time since I used a Toshiba, however, if memory serves me right, it might be worth checking you have not got edge swipes enabled.
  • Right-click on Start and select Run [ Alternatively, press Winkey + R ]
  • In the run dialog type control then click OK
  • In the upper right corner of Control Panel select View by: Large icons
  • Click on Mouse then in window that opens select the Device settings tab
  • Look for Enable edge swipes. If this is currently checked then remove the check then click Apply/OK

Based on you post I am assuming you all ready disabled the tapping option. If not disable that too.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I'm trying a new option to disable my Toshiba buttons and use only touch pad, however, I think the problem is still there, i.e. sometimes or many times, when then cursor crosses over or hovers over what I may click on, opens, delete whatever.

So again, using touchpad only, however, I miss having the abbility to open a sub-menu ergo Ive had to use left hand to hold shift key to open window in new tab. The sub-menu I got with left button also had other features like delete, copy, etc

Reaction score
Yeah, no "enable edge swipes" on Toshiba mouse > device settingss.

It's been a very long time since I used a Toshiba, however, if memory serves me right, it might be worth checking you have not got edge swipes enabled.
  • Right-click on Start and select Run [ Alternatively, press Winkey + R ]
  • In the run dialog type control then click OK
  • In the upper right corner of Control Panel select View by: Large icons
  • Click on Mouse then in window that opens select the Device settings tab
  • Look for Enable edge swipes. If this is currently checked then remove the check then click Apply/OK

Based on you post I am assuming you all ready disabled the tapping option. If not disable that too.

Regards,

Regedit32

Regedit32

Reaction score
That is odd, I was sure Toshibas along with the Synaptic drivers offer edge swipe support.

But, as I said, its been a long time since I use a Toshiba, so perhaps that is not a thing any more, or maybe it has a new name now.

Getting a context menu now makes it seem like right-clicking is somehow activated.

You know when you go into File Explorer > View tab > Options > Change folder and search options > General tab is Single-click or Double-click selected?

Reaction score
Yes disbale tapping was first thing I did, if it was enabled. Also I just enable buttons again, because dis-abling them did not solve problem. I use to using buttons so prefer that and now back to them.

I had this problem on two previous Toshibas win 7 and inloaded specific Synaptic driver that solved problems. I checked name of that Synaptic driver and it appears as older version ex v6 and this Toshibal has V7.

And again, as stated in original post, I have gone to Synaptics web page, inloaded the two possible drivers and when I go to install either one they say a..." newer version is already installed, are sure you want to replace" of course I dont replace newer with older, however,

I will eventually do that cause this is so frustrating. It is weird I dont see my newer version on Synaptic web page. Maybe try contacting them.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Folders are double click option. Like mac

IF there is edge swipe it is somewhere else or a differrent name. I think is tap zone of tocuhpad in my Toshiba. That is all disable if possible to enable or not.

That is odd, I was sure Toshibas along with the Synaptic drivers offer edge swipe support.

But, as I said, its been a long time since I use a Toshiba, so perhaps that is not a thing any more, or maybe it has a new name now.

Getting a context menu now makes it seem like right-clicking is somehow activated.

You know when you go into File Explorer > View tab > Options > Change folder and search options > General tab is Single-click or Double-click selected?

Reaction score
It can be right or left click depending on settings I use left button for opening folders whatever, my right button opens the menu for copy, delete open in tab etc type functions.

All three of my toshibas have had the buttons in that settings. Never changed them and it is that way on a few other people PCs i used. I think it may be default. I dunno but irrelevant, however,

At some point I might try reversing the function of left and right buttons, we never know what might fix or is causing and issue.

Reaction score
Double-click folder option is probably better to lessen chance of cursor opening things without my clicking.

If it were corrupted system, file then on mac I would just move it to desktop, restart mac and creates new file.

I have found Synaptic folder but I have no research regarding corrupted file. And agian, Ive told you story of going to Synaptics web page. They dont have a listing for many of the 50 or more files in the Synaptic folder.

Folders are double click option. Like mac

Regedit32

Reaction score
Assuming you definitely did that, and still see problems, then only other thing I can think of off hand would be:
  • Right-click on Start and select Device Manager
  • Select your Synaptic Mouse and right-click and select Uninstall device then in popup check the option to delete drivers
  • When done, click the Blue screen with magnifying glass icon [ Scan for hardware changes ] and allow it to locate your device and reinstall it.
  • Then shut down your computer and restart it to see whether things get resolved

Reaction score
You are 100% certain you turned off tap-to-click feature?

Well I was sure, but yes it was enable now, however, that may have automtically happened when I choose an hour ago, to use touchpad tapping instead of buttons. Anyway thx, I have disable enable tapping function, again, so we will see if it helps. I'm doubtful. I will also restart PC now.

Reaction score
I'm not using a mouse. Touch pad and two buttons. I enabled buttons half hour ago, because just using touchpad alone did not help.

Anyway restarted after de-clickin "enable tapping" again. Dont think that was problem but hope that it is. Will have to go use PC for some time here and see, will let you know Reddit. Thx for your help.

Assuming you definitely did that, and still see problems, then only other thing I can think of off hand would be:
  • Right-click on Start and select Device Manager
  • Select your Synaptic Mouse and right-click and select Uninstall device then in popup check the option to delete drivers

Reaction score
Hi Reddit, so I did go to devicce manger and it said my synaptics touhc PS/2 port touch pad operating properly, but the touchpad is not the problem. It is cursor.

Anyway, I have opened email Thunderbird and been moving cursor over things and have not had issue. So maybe. Also Reddit I went to Toms Hardware forums and one of the topics was cursor opening things without clicking, and what solved his problem was to run Malware bytes.

Well I do that regularly anyway and rarely have anything, but I did run that about 1o minutes ago and it found 14 malware items.

So maybe disable tapping or malware bytes have fixed issue. Time will tell for sure. Thanks again. Will get back after some more time and let you know

Reaction score
H,mm its been 15 minutes and no problem. Thx again Reddit, tapping disabled or malware removal appears to have solved problem, altho I would swear both of those had not been in play a week or more ago when I had the problem.

Facts are facts tho and I hope to have much less frustration now.

Regedit32

Reaction score
There may be management software you use (3rd party) that resets things perhaps?

Of during a Windows update some settings may have been re-set to default. Something Microsoft updates can do at times.

Anyway, whichever it was, the settings, or malware, it appears as you say its sorted for now.

Atleast, next time it occurs, you can try those two things first.

Thanks for all your posts - it will help others when they search for help to read what you tried, and did.

Reaction score
Yeah, it has been going on for two or three weeks. Maybe a few weeks back, when I thought I had disabled "enbable tapping", I did not hit "apply" and so Ive been misasuming all these weeks. That is probably the best answer, so you da man Reddit, for getting me to double check that.

The only other issue with this PC is it teh diagonal set of keys 1, Q, A Z will not work, first time I used can of cold air to blow out around keys and that worked. Next time it didnt. So last two times restarting PC fixed issue and it has not come back for a few weeks now.

There may be management software you use (3rd party) that resets things perhaps?
Of during a Windows update some settings may have been re-set to default. Something Microsoft updates can do at times.
Anyway, whichever it was, the settings, or malware, it appears as you say its sorted for now.
Atleast, next time it occurs, you can try those two things first.
Thanks for all your posts - it will help others when they search for help to read what you tried, and did.

Regedit32

Reaction score
When you get symptoms like that you want to check whether the Keyboard Controller is damaged.

There will be a cable inside that connects to the motherboard, and it may have a damaged pin.

If that is the case you can re-map your keyboard to a different pin, but that is quite a task, and I'd recommend contacting Toshiba, or whomever you bought the computer from. for instructions on how to do this, because if you make any mistakes here, you will only make the issue worse [ and if your computer is under warranty, then you'd potentially void the warranty ] by tampering inside it.

By the way you might want to check your Escape [ ESC ]. Tilda [~], and Tab keys too; if they too are not working as expected it almost certainly is an issue with a pin.

Reaction score
Good to know and will certainly research more if problem becomes consisten, and yes it sounds difficult to repair.

I have been inside a couple of latop keyboards for wifi card or HD replacements. Yeah I think it was the other key you mentioned also. I bought computer from ebay $125. with win 10 installed.

Thx for tips. Glad to have join Win 10 forums today communicate with you.

When you get symptoms like that you want to check whether the Keyboard Controller is damaged.

There will be a cable inside that connects to the motherboard, and it may have a damaged pin.

If that is the case you can re-map your keyboard to a different pin, but that is quite a task, and I'd recommend contacting Toshiba, or whomever you bought the computer from. for instructions on how to do this, because if you make any mistakes here, you will only make the issue worse [ and if your computer is under warranty, then you'd potentially void the warranty ] by tampering inside it.

By the way you might want to check your Escape [ ESC ]. Tilda [~], and Tab keys too; if they too are not working as expected it almost certainly is an issue with a pin.

Ask a Question